Equipping a 20 seat lab for telecommunications students

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
RAD_BCIT

Equipping a 20 seat lab for telecommunications students

Post by RAD_BCIT »

I'm in the process of starting up a Internet of Things course (30 hours over 3 weeks) focusing on the communications portion of the IoT technology stack. The goal is to provide our second-year trades college students (who will have taken introductory courses in basic electronics, microcontrollers, and data networking) with hands-on experience with IoT communications protocols and hardware.
I have a shopping list from a colleague who is suggesting various Raspberry Pi and Arduino processors/microcontrollers, hats etc. but much of it is unavailable due to obsolescence and/or current supply-chain issues.
I'd like to stick with Adafruit gear to keep things focused, affordable, and well-supported. I'm equipping a 20 seat lab that already has electronics test gear, power supplies, oscilloscopes etc.
Can anyone help with recommendations for currently available components and labs for teaching our students hands-on skills with IoT communications technologies like BLE, LoraWAN, WiFi, NFC, LTEm, etc.?

superg2

Re: Equipping a 20 seat lab for telecommunications students

Post by superg2 »

I'd use some of these, https://www.adafruit.com/product/5483. The built-in display would be very nice. As for projects. I think the temperature-based fan would be a good lab that isn't too hard. They have a lot of ideas on the Learn section of the site. This board would allow you to use the Adafruit IO code and you could control the fan speed via a web browser.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”