Dropped Solder Blob on Feather Regulator & Caps

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DJDevon3

Dropped Solder Blob on Feather Regulator & Caps

Post by DJDevon3 »

So I was trying to hurry up and finish a 7-segment project while the winds from Hurricane Ian were picking up all around me and power was flickering.
IMG_0482_800.png
IMG_0482_800.png (892.76 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Had to splice 2 backpack wire harnesses together and dropped a big solder blob right on the regulator and nearby caps. Can't get the solder to melt and wick. Either the caps are taking up all the heat or its bonded with solder paste somehow raising the melting point? I can't get the solder to melt. Flux was of no help.
IMG_0481_800.png
IMG_0481_800.png (755.75 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Out of desperation to finish the project I turned the feather on fully knowing the consequences that might happen. I2C bus isn't working, I2C scan isn't detecting anything on the bus. :(

I've already ordered a replacement and have the code backed up.
Is there any way to clean this up and save my feather s2? I do have a large induction hot plate with a 6" stainless steel slug & hot air rework gun but have never used either. Don't want to make things worse if I can avoid it.

Aaaand just noticed the solder is going down a nearby via drainhole. This might be a loss. Just seeing if there's anything that can be done before tossing it.

Franklin97355

Re: Dropped Solder Blob on Feather Regulator & Caps

Post by Franklin97355 »

You might try a solder sucker or solder wick if you feel lucky.

DJDevon3

Re: Dropped Solder Blob on Feather Regulator & Caps

Post by DJDevon3 »

I got a super cheap rework station on amazon. Gave that a shot. Not only sucked the entire blob up the first try but also sucked up the regulator and capacitor! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLR9jsHeNDM

Also used the rework station to do the soldering. Not sure if that's how its supposed to be used but seems to be soldered into the right place. Yes I did blow it away the first try and thankfully didn't blow it halfway across the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su7wUNyVKHg

Turned it on and success! Saved my Feather S2 :) :) :)

Thank you for the suggestion, people in discord also made the same suggestion. Worked like a charm.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”