Can one Bluefruit peripheral "see" another Bluefruit peripheral?

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GetItGary

Can one Bluefruit peripheral "see" another Bluefruit peripheral?

Post by GetItGary »

Hi all,
I just purchased a Adafruit Feather 32u4 Bluefruit device and I was thinking of getting another. From what I have read from other posts I can see that all Adafruit Bluefruit products are only peripherals and not Central devices. Thus they cannot talk to each other. However, on post "Communication between two “Adafruit Feather 32u4 Bluefruit" dated "Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:48 am" there is a sentence that says:

"Aside from some low-level collision detection, peripherals don't even know other peripherals exit."

How could I utilize the low-level collision detection? I would like the one Adafruit Feather 32u4 Bluefruit device to "see" another Adafruit Feather 32u4 Bluefruit device is within its RSSI level range. They need not talk to each other but just know they are in proximity to each other.

Second question - the peripheral name on the BluefruitConnect App shows up as "Adafruit Bluefruit LE". Can that name be changed so that each Adafruit Feather 32u4 Bluefruit device can have a distinguishable name?
Thanks,
Gary

jevada

Re: Can one Bluefruit peripheral "see" another Bluefruit peripheral?

Post by jevada »

No, a peripheral cannot see another peripheral.

However. I don't know where you got that from, but adafruit bluefruit products can be either peripheral, central or both. Okay, not all can, but there certainly are. There are some that can be both at the same time (nRF52840 based for example). In that case, you can let it scan for other parts in central mode whilst it advertises and/or connects as a peripheral.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”