Clarification about requirements for "FONA 3G Cellular Breakout"

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
256bit

Clarification about requirements for "FONA 3G Cellular Breakout"

Post by 256bit »

Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing this devkit: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2691

I see that it says microcontroller and battery required. That makes sense for taking it on the go but, can I still make it function by just connecting it to usb and controlling it with the pc?

I will probably get batteries and microcontrollers for it afterwards but they are not required for functioning if you can connect to the USB and communicate with the computer, right?

Thanks,
256b

rskup

Re: Clarification about requirements for "FONA 3G Cellular Breakout"

Post by rskup »

Yes, I've been using mine (the 5320A version) for the last week or so that way; that is, hooked up via USB to an old laptop I have and using PuTTY to control it.

Now where I am 3G is gone so I put it into 2G mode using:
AT+CNMP=13

And then the command:
AT+CNSMOD? gets me the following reply:
+CNSMOD: 0,3

The trailing "3" means connected in EDGE mode.

Anyways, it works fine in 2G EDGE mode and using USB and PuTTY to control it, can make/send calls, texts, etc....

BTW, I did try running my 5320A from a newer computer I have but the drivers would not load, got some security message, but can't remember exactly what. But after some digging discovered there are updated drivers on github if you run into that issue, again, can't remember exact details now as that was awhile ago. Anyways, just to let you know you might run into driver problems with a newer computer, and you may want to research that before you order.

256bit

Post by 256bit »

Hi! Thanks for the reply. So it works how I expected, that's great.

What operating system are you using, Windows? Which version did you run it on and which version did it have issues with? Just so I know what I'm getting into.

Thanks,
256b

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hi 256b, was trying to find the original github webpage I mentioned above and found this new one instead:

https://github.com/benmcnelly/FONA3G-Wi ... s/issues/1

Then it dawned on me, the "old computer" is 32 bit, and the "new one" is 64 bit, maybe that was the issue and I just wasn't thinking (sorry, my brain is old).

Anyways, I plan to try out what's mentioned in the new github webpage on my 64 bit machine and see if that works. Hoping to have time tonight or tomorrow and will post back.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Ok, downloaded that "SIMCOM_64bit_usb_driver.rar" mentioned in the link above and extracted it to a new folder on my 64 bit computer (as a test to make sure and keep it separate from the original 5320 drivers). Then connected the FONA3G with a USB cable, did the "update driver" thing and pointed to the new folder and all went well. Fired up PuTTY, made calls, sent texts, worked just fine.

So, very cool, nice being able to use my newer computer to run the FONA3G!

256bit

Post by 256bit »

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”