Difficulting running blink code on HUZZAH Board

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Catalyst__

Difficulting running blink code on HUZZAH Board

Post by Catalyst__ »

Hi all, I'm following this tutorial (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... rduino-ide) and having immense difficulty pairing the HUZZAH board with the Arduino IDE. I can't upload and run the blink example code.

I receive the following error "esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header"

I have tried the following to no avail:
- Adjusted the baud rate
- Purchased a new cable that connects from the HUZZAH board to laptop
- I have switched the board type to "Generic ESP8266 Module". Set the Reset Method to "nodemcu”

Additional Notes
- I have the proper drives installed (see image)
Drivers
Drivers
drivers.png (168.43 KiB) Viewed 61 times
- Just for clarity, I don't have the breakout board. See --> https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-huz ... t/overview
- The Adafruit page says the HUZZAH board has "bootlegging capabilities" so I don't need to pull any pins low or high or press some buttons in a specific pattern. It's just upload and bob's your uncle

I have been troubleshooting this for days. Your suggestions will be immensely appreciated.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Difficulting running blink code on HUZZAH Board

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

- I have switched the board type to "Generic ESP8266 Module". Set the Reset Method to "nodemcu”
Just to check - were you originally selecting "Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP8266"?

Catalyst__

Post by Catalyst__ »

Yes I was. I heard that selecting the Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP8266 option creates problems because it has bugs

adafruit_support_carter

Where did that information come from? It should work OK per the guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... rt-2720750

You're seeing the COM port show up in Device Manager as expected. So it seems like the CP2104 drivers are installed and working OK. That also indicates the USB cable is generally OK (bad USB cables are a huge source of issues).

Make sure nothing else is opening the COM port when the board is connected. Like some other 3rd party software.

Catalyst__

Post by Catalyst__ »

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:07 am Where did that information come from? It should work OK per the guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... rt-2720750

You're seeing the COM port show up in Device Manager as expected. So it seems like the CP2104 drivers are installed and working OK. That also indicates the USB cable is generally OK (bad USB cables are a huge source of issues).

Make sure nothing else is opening the COM port when the board is connected. Like some other 3rd party software.

How do I make sure nothing else is opening the COM port when the board is connected?
Also, how do I reflash the bootloader? My professor said this will help

adafruit_support_carter

How do I make sure nothing else is opening the COM port when the board is connected?
Try right clicking the COM port entry in Device Manager, select Properties, and then Details tab.

Another idea would be to try a different computer and see if the behavior repeats there.
Also, how do I reflash the bootloader? My professor said this will help
You can't. The bootloader on the ESP8266 is a ROM bootloader. It can not be overwritten.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”