CPLAYBTBOOT disk drive does not appear

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kthornton

CPLAYBTBOOT disk drive does not appear

Post by kthornton »

I bought a Circuit Playground Bluefruit (the classic, not the express) and ran into issues not two minutes into setting it up. I was following the instructions listed on the website (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cir ... cuitpython) and when I began step 2, I ran into a problem. The CPLAYBTBOOT disk drive does not appear no matter what I try. My computer recognizes that it is plugged in -- if I go into my settings and find "other devices" I can see "Circuit Playground" is connected -- but I can't do anything with this.

Important points:
1. I am using a USB cable that supports data sync; I use it all the time with my Arduino, and it works fine. However, just in case this was the problem, I did try other USB cables that support data sync -- no luck.
2. I have tried this on multiple computers, one of which had just successfully done all this with another Circuit Playground Bluefruit (CPB). I also used a known data sync USB cable at this time.
3. The ten NeoPixel LEDs do light up in rainbow order when the CPB is plugged in as they are supposed to. However, when I reset it, they do not all turn red and then green as stated in the instructions. Rather, they freeze, and then the LED (#13) next to the USB pulses red. Next, all the NeoPixel LEDs turn off, and LED #13 blinks red rapidly (I took a slow motion video to count the blinks... the pattern is 2, slight pause, and then 5, but I can't find any error codes that match this blink pattern) before the entire board once again lights up in rainbow order over and over again.
4. The instructions mention that double clicking the reset button may not work, and to try single clicking it. I have done this, but the same thing happens. I have also tried double clicking at varying speeds. Nothing.

At this point I've contacted the company I got it from (Digikey) and submitted a request for a replacement. But, the earliest it will be here is a week from now (10/10/22), and I need this for class, so I'd really like to be able to get this work.

If you have any follow up questions, I'm happy to answer any and all of them. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

neradoc

Re: CPLAYBTBOOT disk drive does not appear

Post by neradoc »

kthornton wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:08 pm I bought a Circuit Playground Bluefruit (the classic, not the express)
Hi, there are 3 Circuit Playground products with different chips:
- The Classic (ATmega 32u4), that doesn't support a UF2 bootloader
- The Express (SAMD21 "M0"), that does support a UF2 bootloader and doesn't do bluetooth
- The Bluefruit (NRF52), that does support a UF2 bootloader and does bluetooth

The pulsing red LED is typical of the Classic's bootloader.
If you bought a Classic, it's not a Bluefruit, can you check the name on the back ?
Also the Bluefruit's PCB is actually blue.

kthornton

Re: CPLAYBTBOOT disk drive does not appear

Post by kthornton »

neradoc wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:09 am
kthornton wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:08 pm I bought a Circuit Playground Bluefruit (the classic, not the express)
Hi, there are 3 Circuit Playground products with different chips:
- The Classic (ATmega 32u4), that doesn't support a UF2 bootloader
- The Express (SAMD21 "M0"), that does support a UF2 bootloader and doesn't do bluetooth
- The Bluefruit (NRF52), that does support a UF2 bootloader and does bluetooth

The pulsing red LED is typical of the Classic's bootloader.
If you bought a Classic, it's not a Bluefruit, can you check the name on the back ?
Also the Bluefruit's PCB is actually blue.
Well, that's embarrassing! It's the Classic, not the Bluefruit. Somehow didn't notice there were multiple versions when I bought this from Digikey... I'm assuming this is the reason CPLAYBTBOOT won't show up. I've found the correct instructions so I should be all set. Thank you for your help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”