BLE LE Audio Auracast Application Board Recommendations

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Astrobirder

BLE LE Audio Auracast Application Board Recommendations

Post by Astrobirder »

Hello,

I'm wanting to develop a system that will use a remote microphone transmitting wirelessly to a receiver (likely an RPi). The new BLE LE Audio auracast solution has a couple of interesting features for my application, not the least of which is the potential for battery/solar for power on the microphone end.

Can the community recommend any of the Adafruit boards to start with for both sides of this project?

Thanks!

mikeysklar

Re: BLE LE Audio Auracast Application Board Recommendations

Post by mikeysklar »

There are currently no Adafruit guides for audio streaming a mic input over BLE. It is a good project idea.

Probably the easiest solution would be to use two Pi Zero's with one with an i2s speaker bonnet connected to an i2s mic. The Pi with the mic can stream the data via ffmpeg. You can play the stream from another pi using vlc.

i2s options:
https://www.adafruit.com/?q=i2s&sort=BestMatch

streaming mic audio:
https://www.tunbury.org/audio-stream/

Astrobirder

Post by Astrobirder »

Unfortunately the i2s microphones that I've researched have way too high of self noise for my application. I'm probably going to build my own microphone from an AOM-5024 Electret Condenser.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

A USB mic would also be an option with two Pi's should that make sense in your application. I assume this has something to do with recording bird calls?

Astrobirder

Post by Astrobirder »

Absolutely bird related. Unfortunately the power used by a Pi is likely beyond the power budget. I'm wanting a low-energy wireless protocol for the possibility of using battery/solar to keep the microphone end operating.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”