Dead Boards

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jbeagle

Re: Dead Boards

Post by jbeagle »

I just received the new Titano Board and it will not power up! What do we do with this one now? Please let me know what tests you want to try on this one.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

The best test is to try and get into bootloader mode by double pressing the reset button. And since you have other Titano's that work, can use those to see how it *should* behave - both the BOOT folder that shows as well as the color of the NeoPixel on the Titano.

Be sure to use the same USB cable, etc. that is known to work with another Titano.

jbeagle

Post by jbeagle »

I tried to get the new dead Titano to go into boot loader mode with no success. the new Titano does not have any LED's lighting up on the back. The Neo Pixel does not light up ether. I did get the other two Titano's I have out and tried the same steps. They both went into Bootloader mode and showed a name of PORTALBOOT. One thing I did notice after going Tinto boot loader mode was that it erased all code on the Titano with I rebooted it into the normal mode with it showing up as CIRCUITPY.

Is there something else we can try?

jbeagle

Post by jbeagle »

Are we looking to test this or are we working on a return / replacement?

jbeagle

Post by jbeagle »

any updates on this effort?

adafruit_support_carter

OK, let's replace again, but also this time return those two that don't seem to want to work. We can take a look at them back here and try and see what's going on. Sorry yet another Titano is acting that way.

Send another email to [email protected] and link them to this thread again. They can send you another replacement Titano. Also ask them for an RMA FORPHIL to have the *two* other problematic Titanos returned.

jbeagle

Post by jbeagle »

I am sorry but I disposed of the first one as directed by the support staff but I will send the second one back. Thanks for the update and I will get this taken care of tonight

jbeagle

Post by jbeagle »

So I am not sure what is going on. I just got my replacement Titano delivered today. I was happy to see it and plugged it into my Mac it powered up and the display is blurry. It was running CircuitPython 5.0.0 Bata. I loaded the 7.3.3 code and loaded a know good file set to run the Adafriut Quotes. It did not fix it. This is the third replacement board and weeks delayed on my projects. I am attaching photos of the display.
IMG_1629.jpeg
IMG_1629.jpeg (225.29 KiB) Viewed 84 times
IMG_1628.jpeg
IMG_1628.jpeg (166.99 KiB) Viewed 84 times
IMG_1627.jpeg
IMG_1627.jpeg (125.6 KiB) Viewed 84 times
IMG_1629.jpeg
IMG_1629.jpeg (225.29 KiB) Viewed 84 times

adafruit_support_carter

Check the ribbon cable connection on the back of the Titano. Make sure the ribbon cable is well seated and that the two black plastic retainer clips are fully pushed in.
titano.jpg
titano.jpg (68.57 KiB) Viewed 77 times

jbeagle

Post by jbeagle »

I moved the small black clips and used a toothpick to slide the ribbon cable out of the socket. I slid the cable back in made sure it was seated and pushed the black clips back down. This did not fix the problem.

jbeagle

Post by jbeagle »

Any update that I should try today? Or are you wanting to ship this one back and send a new one out?

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

What exact model of laptop are you using and what OS version does it have? Have you tried it with any other power sources?

Please post a picture of the back of the portal with the ghosting display.

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

Also, how many different USB cables have you tried?

jbeagle

Post by jbeagle »

I am using a Mac Book Pro Laptop running the latest OS. I have tried a power brick with the same outcome. I have 4 different working USB data cables.
IMG_1631.jpeg
IMG_1631.jpeg (306.58 KiB) Viewed 54 times

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know if an issue has been filed in the CircuitPython repo?

Is it correct that it didn't work with the 5 beta it shipped with and not with the 7.3.3 version?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”