ESP32-S3 hangs on "Hard resetting via RTS pin..."

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
januszkl

ESP32-S3 hangs on "Hard resetting via RTS pin..."

Post by januszkl »

I have been trying to run a sample blink program.
I have been following instruction for blink on this page.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-qt- ... ixel-blink

I have tried both 1.8.13 and 1.8.19 Arduino IDE with the same result.
The board hangs and does not get past this message:
Leaving...
Hard resetting via RTS pin...

When pressing the Reset button, the board flashes explorer window as a QTPYS3BOOT USB device and then it quickly disappears. Afterwards the board hangs.

IDE shows two COM ports 16 & 17, but nether port has any specific board names assigned to them, just the port number.

It appears as if serial ports were available but when trying to open the port monitor the IDE shows:
Error opening serial port 'COM16'. (Port not found)
Error opening serial port 'COM17'. (Port not found)

Please assist with troubleshooting

mrep

Re: ESP32-S3 hangs on "Hard resetting via RTS pin..."

Post by mrep »

I ran into something similar yesterday and the solution was somewhat dumb on my part. Make sure you have the correct type of board selected. I had mine on "Adafruit Feather ESP32-S3 No PSRAM" instead of "Adafruit QT Py ESP32-S3 No PSRAM"

januszkl

Post by januszkl »

mrep wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:32 pm I ran into something similar yesterday and the solution was somewhat dumb on my part. Make sure you have the correct type of board selected. I had mine on "Adafruit Feather ESP32-S3 No PSRAM" instead of "Adafruit QT Py ESP32-S3 No PSRAM"
Unfortunately that is not the case. I have tried a few board options just to see if any of the ESP32 options would work, but no luck. The board is still stuck, so the problem is not solved.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Are you following the manual bootload mode process here?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-qt- ... de-3108166

januszkl

Post by januszkl »

Yes. I have tried a bunch more times again following the steps on that page.

I go to manual boot load and then the board shows up on COM16 (ESP32S3 Dev Module).
Then I try to upload a code, that seems to work fine. The terminal says "Hash of data verified."
But, it always hangs on "Hard resetting via RTS pin".
It does not go past that prompt on the terminal and the board doesn't do anything. No blinking, no output on Serial Monitor.

Then I press the reset button and randomly I get two different outcomes:
1. Windows explorer shows up and it stays open. Arduino IDE shows board on COM16, without any board name, meaning the text "(ESP32S3 Dev Module)" disappears.
2. Windows explorer opens for a very short time and closes back again. Arduino IDE shows another port COM17 (Adafruit QT Py ESP32-S3 No PSRAM).

Most of the time case 1. shows up. But it's random.
Following the instructions on that page does not provide any solutions. Need further assistance.

adafruit_support_carter

It does not go past that prompt on the terminal and the board doesn't do anything. No blinking, no output on Serial Monitor.
This is the expected behavior.
Then I press the reset button
Yes. Pressing reset is needed.

Not sure why Windows is behaving as it is though. Just to verify from your first post - you are still trying to upload the basic NeoPixel Blink example sketch from the guide?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-qt- ... ch-3108138

januszkl

Post by januszkl »

I don't think this should be an expected behavior. The board hangs and doesn't do anything. Even after I reset it or power cycle, it does nothing. I understand that it may 'suspend' some activity during firmware loading, but the board does not respond afterwards. I need further troubleshooting instructions.

williamrc

Post by williamrc »

Hi ,
I have a similar problem,
I tried programming the device using PlatformIO and VS Code.
Compiled and uploaded then ...
The board looks like it is doing a hard reset all the time widows is beeping all the time as if a new USB device is just plugged in ..
I have the device manager open, and I can see that it is refreshing all the time ...
But I am not even getting to the point where it sees a stable com port ,

It worked fine when I got it it appeared as com 57 and the LED on the board all pulsed as expected ...
now nothing :(
Is there Anyway to do a factory reset?
i have the Adafruit ESP32-S3 Feather with 4MB Flash 2MB PSRAM - STEMMA QT / Qwiic

adafruit_support_carter

@williamrc Please start a new thread for your issue.

@januszki You are seeing expected behavior. This is 100% as expected:
I go to manual boot load and then the board shows up on COM16 (ESP32S3 Dev Module).
Then I try to upload a code, that seems to work fine. The terminal says "Hash of data verified."
At the point you see the "Hard resetting via RTS pin" message, you need to manually press the reset button on the Qt PY for the board to reset and run the loaded sketch.

januszkl

Post by januszkl »

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:46 pm At the point you see the "Hard resetting via RTS pin" message, you need to manually press the reset button on the Qt PY for the board to reset and run the loaded sketch.
The point that I am trying to make is that the board freezes and does not run the loaded sketch. I manually press the reset button but the board does not run. I tried manual reset button and I also tried unplugging the board and replugging it to USB, but the board does nothing. It DOES NOT run the loaded sketch.

adafruit_support_carter

OK, what happens if you try double pressing the reset after you get to the point it freezes? Can you get the QTPYS3BOOT folder to show up and stay?

januszkl

Post by januszkl »

Yes, I can make the QTYPS3BOOT to show up.

adafruit_support_carter

Very weird. Board seems fine and bootloader is fine. The message:

Code: Select all

Leaving...
Hard resetting via RTS pin...
is the expected final output from a successful sketch upload. But the sketch does not run after reset.

Maybe there's something else happening during upload that's being missed? Please turn on verbose output in the Arduino IDE under File>Preferences. Try again to upload the basic Blink sketch example and paste all the build output here.

januszkl

Post by januszkl »

The output is too long and exceeds the maximum number of allowed characters in the post.
Attached zip file with .ino and verbose output. Let me know if that helps to troubleshoot this issue.
Attachments
neopixel_simple_esp32_s3_2022_11_02.7z
(7.46 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

adafruit_support_carter

Thanks. That also looks fine.

When you got into bootloader mode, was the NeoPixel lit? It should have been green to indicate USB was all good. Just wondering if maybe the NeoPixel is somehow bad?

EDIT - Another thing - try updating the NeoPixel library to latest release. Looks like you're using the 1.10.4 release. The most recent 1.10.6 release looks like it fixes something specific to ESP32:
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ne ... tag/1.10.6

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”