Resistors needed for Neopixels + Music Maker Board

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
miapond

Resistors needed for Neopixels + Music Maker Board

Post by miapond »

Hi there! This is a very basic question but wanted to make sure I'm covering bases as there is a lot riding on this project. Here it goes:

My colleagues and I are working on an art installation and using the Music Maker FeatherWing w/ Amp board (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3436). The installation will be run for about four weeks, with electronics to be used for the duration of that.

We're connecting a strip of Neopixels (about six neopixels in the strip) to our Music Maker + Feather 32u4 Proto boards. We're wondering if we need to use a resistor for current circuit/the extended use of the installation? For our original prototype, we connected the neopixels without a resistor. Honestly, I don't know why we *didn't* use a resistor for the prototype and we're scratching our heads around if it's needed.

I know this is a very basic question, so many thanks for your patience and all your help :)

dastels

Re: Resistors needed for Neopixels + Music Maker Board

Post by dastels »

What NeoPixel product are you using? Some have a resistor already. In the Neopixel Uberguide:
Place a 300 to 500 Ohm resistor between the Arduino data output pin and the input to the first NeoPixel. The resistor should be at the end of the wire closest to the NeoPixel(s), not the microcontroller. Some products already incorporate this resistor…if you’re not sure, add one…there’s no harm in doubling up! Also, newer NeoPixels are less picky about this. Nothing’s needed at the “out” end of a strip…you can leave the data out “floating.”
For a handful of NeoPixels I've never bothered.

Dave

miapond

Post by miapond »

hey Dave! Thanks for your reply :)

We're using these Neopixels (https://www.crcibernetica.com/adafruit- ... -white-1m/). Pretty standard... don't think we need one, but maybe it's good to include just to be safe (and to your point). Thoughts?

dastels

Post by dastels »

It won't hurt. There's really no reason not to.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”