Adafruit Inductive Charge Kit 5V 1.3A MAX

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Endeavour

Adafruit Inductive Charge Kit 5V 1.3A MAX

Post by Endeavour »

Hello, I am planning to purchase the Adafruit Inductive Charge Kit 5V 1.3A max for one of my student projects. We may replace one of the coils later on after confirming the wireless charging operation. As such, could I find out the inductance value of the transmitting and receiving coil, as I was not able to find that in the attached datasheet?

Would appreciate some feedback.
Thanks.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Adafruit Inductive Charge Kit 5V 1.3A MAX

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We don't make that device, and don't have any design documents for it. You'll need to measure the inductance from the hardware.

The simplest way to do that is with an oscilloscope or a frequency counter and a medium-sized capacitor: put the inductor and capacitor in series and measure the point where they connect. Connect the bottom of the capacitor to GND and the free end of the inductor to a microcontroller pin generating a slow square wave (1Hz is a decent starting point). The inductor and capacitor will ring with a period of 2pi*sqrt(LC).

To find the inductance divide by 2pi, square the result, and divide by the value of the capacitor.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”