Trinket M0 + Arduino boot issues

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mdn86cj7

Trinket M0 + Arduino boot issues

Post by mdn86cj7 »

I'm looking for suggestions on how to further troubleshoot the problems described below.

I'm having repeated issues programming some Trinket M0s with Arduino. In all cases the code compiles (with the output below) then seemingly uploads successfully.

Code: Select all

/Users/xxxx/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2019q4/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/9.2.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: warning: changing start of section .bss by 12 bytes
/Users/xxxx/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2019q4/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/9.2.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: warning: changing start of section .bss by 12 bytes
/Users/xxxx/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2019q4/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/9.2.1/../../../../arm-noneSketch uses 42912 bytes (16%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
-eabi/bin/ld: warning: changing start of section .bss by 12 bytes
Most of the time (~90%) the board's DotStar LED turns purple after upload and the board becomes non-responsive. I've had occasional success by repeatedly putting the board into boot loader and uploading the same code.

Software/upload
I've tried both Arduino IDE v 2.0.1 and Arduino 1.8.19 on both a 2013 MacBook Pro and a 2021 MacBook Pro (both Monterey and Ventura OS). I've updated the UF2 to the latest for this board.

Hardware
To test that the board isn't 'bricked' I've uploaded CircuitPython and verified function. I've had slightly better success with uploading simpler Arduino code (successful compilation/upload/function) to the same boards. I've also tried uploading to a bare Trinket M0 with similar results (intermittent purple LED after reportedly successful upload).

I've attempted to monitor the Serial output to see if there's a place in the code that's causing the issue and it doesn't seem that it even gets to Serial initialization.

Is there anything I can do to investigate further to see what's happening on the hardware that's causing it to lock up? I'm happy to add the code that mostly seems to cause problems (although even simple example scripts seem to have issues as well).

tgmcnaughton

Re: Trinket M0 + Arduino boot issues

Post by tgmcnaughton »

I've also had some bootup inconsistencies with Trinket M0. It seems to disconnect the USB EVERY time I upload a sketch. Just testing with Blink.ino, the code runs, but I have to reselect the PORT each time I re-Upload. I haven't seen anything like the error messages you are seeing. In preferences, you can select set compiler warnings to "All" and select "Verbose" output for compile and/or upload - this may give you more info.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (147.59 KiB) Viewed 144 times

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Are you seeing the behavior even when trying to upload the basic Blink example sketch?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-tri ... nk-2854174

mdn86cj7

Post by mdn86cj7 »

Update: Had unexplainable success yesterday repeatedly programming multiple Trinkets. On most uploads I didn't get the 4 warnings from my OP and the devices ran correctly after upload.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try the verbose output to see if there's anything notable. I tried uploading the Blink example this am and that was successful.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”