incoming SMS messages delayed 15-30 minutes

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jimk123

Re: incoming SMS messages delayed 15-30 minutes

Post by jimk123 »

Hi Rob
I sent 7 random txts today through out the day , one was delayed about 8 minutes.

Interesting your comment on COPS, can you post that command you used ? I was reading the same thing about getting a list of carriers and specifying one on a connection.
thanks !

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hi Jim,

Were those texts sent from the dashboard? If so, how strange, I've sent over 50 now from the dashboard with no delay.

On switching carriers, first enter:
AT+COPS=?

Note the added "=" sign. You'll now have to wait a minute or so while the chip does its thing. Then you'll get back something like this (text re-organized in rows for clarity):

(2,"AT&T","AT&T","310410",7),
(1,"311 490","311 490","311490",7),
(1,"T-Mobile","T-Mobile","310260",7),
(1,"313 100","313 100","313100",7),
(1,"Verizon","Verizon","311480",7),
(1,"T-Mobile","T-Mobile","310260",0)

Looking at the above and the AT manual:
The leading "2" is "Operator Current".
A leading "1" means "Operator Available".
A leading "3" means "Operator Forbidden".

Then enter:
AT+COPS=2

This de-registers you from whoever you're currently connected to.

Then for me to re-register with T-Mobile I enter:
AT+COPS=1,0,"T-Mobile"

The "1" is for manual register, the "0" tells the chip I'm going to enter the "long format alphanumeric", ie, "T-Mobile".

Now you have to wait again, maybe a minute, and it may not work the first time. I actually had to try it 3 or 4 times, all the other times it would simply say "ERROR" after a minute or so and I'd have no connection at all.

I've switched back and forth between ATT and T-Mobile several times now, but it is kind of funky. Most of the time it didn't work and I'd get that ERROR after awhile. A couple times it just seemed "stuck" and I'd power-cycle the chip to get it working again, so beware!!!

And if you do go through this, and then want to put the carrier selection back in "automatic" mode, enter:
AT+COPS=0

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Hi Rob
Thanks for the reply and commands you used. I am sending sms txt msgs from my iphone on the att network to the sim7000a board, that’s why i was wondering about registering it with the att network so both devices will be on the same network ?

I wonder if there is a difference how we are sending txt msgs ?

I send them roughly once an hour from my phone and then look at the arduino serial console for the incoming msg and time received. Getting late for me but thanks for the commands and i will try those tomorrow and let you know, thanks !

bidrohini

Post by bidrohini »

Weird problem. I used SIM900 and SIM 808 for SMS applications. I faced no such problem. Received messages on time. I know Fona is an advanced GPS module. But if you ever consider using anything cheaper, you can take a look here: https://www.theengineeringprojects.com/ ... duino.html

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hi Jim,

I think the difference is that I'm sending my messages from the Hologram dashboard...have you tried that?

In your Hologram account, go to the Devices tab, then pick your device from the list (like me, maybe you have just one). Then pick the Messaging tab.

You'll see "Send a Message to This Device", check the SMS radio button, and type in the Message window.

Sorry if you've tried this and I didn't understand, just want to make sure were on the same page.

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Hi Rob
that is different than how I send txt msgs and may explain the different results we see. I have been reading more and more on cat-m nb-iot and not sure if these devices are designed for true SMS, here is one link that says they are not for texting.

https://www.digi.com/support/forum/7100 ... xt-ability

I think you mentioned earlier you have a waveShare board for the pi that is a true CAT-1 device (phone) that if what I am reading is correct is what I need (and a SIM for voice which include txt) for reliable txt use.

I tried your steps to attach to the ATT network but it kept failing (8 tries), it shows the network available in the command:

(1,"AT&T","AT&T","310410",7),
(2,"T-Mobile","T-Mobile","310260",7),
(1,"313 100","313 100","313100",7),
(1,"311 490","311 490","311490",7),
(3,"Verizon","Verizon","311480",7),
but would not connect after 8 tries.

I think I am going to look at buying one of those waveshare boards that is NOT a cat-m nb-iot. For my application I do not need data, just SMS. Did you say you were able to write your own functions to send and recv txt msgs on the waveshare board ? Is it like the fona and botletics where it uses softserial TX/RX ? I would be using it with the arduino.

https://www.amazon.com/Waveshare-4G-HAT ... B0824P4B7M
there is also a SIM7600A, still trying to figure out the difference.

I think you said you also saw a few inbound msgs not getting received but wondering if you were using a SIM designed for voice/sms , not a cat-m , or perhaps it connected as cat-m mode ?
this is so complicated :( lol

thanks

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hey Jim, gonna answer your questions in reverse order, more or less:

I had tested that Waveshare 7600 ("full LTE") board with a regular T-Mobile sim (not an IoT sim), and it was not reliable receiving texts from my cell phone.

As far as the "7600G" vs "7600A" suffix, G should work globally, where A has the bands for North America. I went with G just cause I thought it would be cool and fun to test, but yes, it's likely overkill.

Scroll down to the "Specification" table on this web page, note the suffixes on the first line of the table, now go to the second from last line on the table, it will show you what countrie(s) that suffix is for.

I did write some (very basic) Python code for SMS and the board, and yes the Pi is connected to the 7600 board via the RXD/TXD pins (ie, it is not stacked on the pi). The code works, but it doesn't have the error checks and etc... like the Fona library functions.

However, that Botletics library we talked about on the first page of these posts (which is based off the Fona library) might work for that board.

I'm not sure I agree that these cat-m/nb-iot boards are not designed for true sms. If I'm understanding the article you linked that sounds like more of an ATT plan issue.

Ok, I think I covered everything, if I missed something let me know!

Rob

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Hi Rob
Thanks for detailed reply, was hoping a true phone like module , meaning non cat-m would perform better, I honestly have no idea why i see delays in receiving sms txt msgs on such a frequent basis, for me at least one per day. While the hologram sim seems to perform the best the cost of .19 cents per message could get very expensive. I did order a waveshare board just to see if i have similar results.

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

bidrohini
Thanks for the link, For many years i used the adafruit FONA boards which i think were based on 800 / 808 were rock solid, i ran them for years without a glitch, and then the carriers started to shut down those networks.

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Wierd when I posted that last message and referenced the previous username is said “banned”

rskup

Post by rskup »

Yep, the 19 cents is like the early days of cell phones.

Nice though there's no charge for texts to the board, only from the board. So should you have to send the same text multiple times to the board due to delays, there's no cost.

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Hi Rob
the waveshare sim7600A-H 4G hat arrived, still reading the doc trying to figure out how I can wire this to a arduino mega, I was using softserial with the other shields. I did see a pin out on their site:

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/SIM7600E-H_4G_HAT for basic pins like 5v, gnd,rx,tx

I did download and unzip their sample folder which includes Waveshare_SIM7600X_Arduino_Library, however the sms.ino sketch is pretty small

I don't see where to define the TX RX pin and there is no setup of the board like the botletics:
fona.setBaudrate(9600);
fona.setFunctionality(1); // AT+CFUN=1

was curious how you wired your waveshare ?

Think I should first try and use it with a tool like Putty before using the arduino ? Kind of over my head here.
thanks

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hi Jim, before you wire the two together, be sure the GPIO voltages are the same! Taking a pic of my board/wiring/jumpers and will upload it soon.

However, trying the usb/putty first is probably a good way to test the board since there would be nothing else to possibly cause a problem. For this I think--but we should confirm it first--the jumpers go in the C position. Will also do some reading/checking on that and post back.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Ok, pic below of wiring and jumper position for working with my Pi-4B. The RXD pin on the Waveshare goes to the TX pin on the Pi, and the TXD pin on the Waveshare goes to the RX pin on the Pi. And those 2 yellow jumpers are placed in the "B" position (middle).

They may have sent the board with another little yellow jumper between the 3V3 and PWR pin, I have that removed. I prefer to power the board up by using the PWRKEY button on the side.

Voltages...by default (or at least on my "G", check your "A") the Waveshare i/o is set at 3.3V, and the Pi i/o is 3.3V, so that works. I quickly surfed and the Mega is 5V i/o yes?? So it looks like you'd have to set the Waveshare to 5V via that tiny VCCIO solder junction on the back, or get a level-logic converter. I've never tried either. But if it were me I'd not be too keen on de-soldering/re-soldering that tiny VCCIO junction, and instead would read up and probably try a level-logic converter, maybe like Adafruit's https://www.adafruit.com/product/757

Ok, gonna double-check on the jumper position for the usb/putty option, has been awhile since I've done that with this board.

7600_wiring_to_pi_pic_3.jpg
7600_wiring_to_pi_pic_3.jpg (265.29 KiB) Viewed 755 times

rskup

Post by rskup »

Ok, if trying the usb/putty option, put those jumpers in the "C" position. And the usb cable into the "usb" port, not the "usb to uart" port. Using the board now this way just to be sure and all is good!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”