incoming SMS messages delayed 15-30 minutes

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jimk123

Re: incoming SMS messages delayed 15-30 minutes

Post by jimk123 »

Odd , i replied earlier to your post but i dont see it

One question i had is how are you powering the 5v pin, i think i read it wants 5v 2a so i assume i need a wall adapter?
Thanks

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

I also mentioned in the post that disappeared i am going to use an arduino Due board, a 3.3v board so I don’t have to solder jumpers or use level shifters for now.

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

On another topic i posted a q on hologram regarding delayed incoming msgs, they said to check or change these settings:

Are you also able to check the PSM or eDRX settings on your device? This could also impact the time it takes for you to receive an SMS. You can try disabling these settings to see if that also improves the performance you're experiencing

https://techship.com/faq/what-are-e-drx ... 00-series/

rskup

Post by rskup »

The 5V is from the Pi's 5V pinout, which I understand is directly tied back to the Pi's power supply. So yep, a 5V wall wart should do it.

Now with the usb/putty option, I did not have anything going to those 5V/GND pins.

Nice you have something with a 3.3V i/o, so no worries on incompatible i/o voltages.

Hmmm....just dawned on me...I think you're gonna want the ground from the Due tied to the GND on the Waveshare board right? And of course the output from your wall wart, that ground (or minus side) will be tied to GND also. I think that's right, so that you have a common ground between the two boards for proper i/o communication.

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Agree , need a common GND between the waveshare and arduino board,and power supply. tomorrow i will wire it up and cross my fingers , thanks

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Hi Rob
finally had a chance to wire up the waveshare 7600 to an arduino Due (3.3v board) as:

waveshare 7600 DUE
5v to 5v 2A wall adapter
gnd black gnd
rx green pin 18 (tx) hardware Serial1
tx yellow pin 19 (rx) hardware Serial1
d4 flight mode orange ? low = off (did not connect this wire)
d6 pwr on/off white d6 high = on

but the LTE_DEMO will not compile since softSerial is not supported on the Due, but the Due has 4 hardware ports but that will not compile either, it says FonaSS is not defined :(
thanks

// We default to using software serial. If you want to use hardware serial
// (because softserial isnt supported) comment out the following three lines
// and uncomment the HardwareSerial line
//#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
//SoftwareSerial fonaSS = SoftwareSerial(FONA_TX, FONA_RX);

// Use the following line for ESP8266 instead of the line above (comment out the one above)
//SoftwareSerial fonaSS = SoftwareSerial(FONA_TX, FONA_RX, false, 256); // TX, RX, inverted logic, buffer size

//SoftwareSerial *fonaSerial = &fonaSS;

//The Arduino Due has three additional 3.3V TTL serial ports:
// Serial1 on pins 19 (RX) and 18 (TX);
// Serial2 on pins 17 (RX) and 16 (TX),
// Serial3 on pins 15 (RX) and 14 (TX).
// Hardware serial is also possible!
HardwareSerial *fonaSerial = &Serial1;

// get a compiler error 'fonaSS' was not declared in this scope

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Rob
I wonder if i should change that jumper from 3.3 to 5v on the back of the board and go back to the arduino mega board ?

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hi Jim, well bummer that won't work with a Due. I had started looking at those Due's, they look pretty nice! Puzzling the commenting/un-commenting didn't work as stated.

Last night I dug out an old Adafruit Feather (their #2771, has 3.3V i/o) and today I started working on wiring that up to my Waveshare and thought I'd try to get it working with the Fona library. The Feather also does not support software serial, so if I manage to get it all working I'll let you know.

btw, where did you find the LTE_DEMO sketch? I seem to only find broken links for it at github.

Ug, I don't think I'm brave enough to re-solder that jumper. Probably because I grew up in an era when chips were really fragile and too much heat or a little static could easily kill them.

Ok, will let you know how the Feather/Waveshare combo works out!

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Hi Rob
Heres the link to github and the sample code

https://github.com/botletics/Botletics-SIM7000

Lte_demo use the serial window in arduino with a menu system to run various commands. There are more examples the ‘examples’ folder

I have a handful of adafruit esp32 feather boards. Would be curious if you get one of those to work with the waveshare.

I was also going to go back to the botletics sim7000 cat-m nbiot and see if those two power saving modes are active, at-cpsms and at-cedrxs which may explain the periodic delays

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hey Jim, looks like the LTE_DEMO I downloaded uses "modemSS" where yours uses "fonaSS". I guess Tim modified the file.

Anyways, scroll down your code to this area (starts at line 131 for me):

Code: Select all

// Software serial:
  modemSS.begin(115200); // Default SIM7000 shield baud rate

Serial.println(F("Configuring to 9600 baud"));
  modemSS.println("AT+IPR=9600"); // Set baud rate
  delay(100); // Short pause to let the command run
  modemSS.begin(9600);
  if (! modem.begin(modemSS)) {
    Serial.println(F("Couldn't find modem"));
    while (1); // Don't proceed if it couldn't find the device
  }

// Hardware serial:
  /*
  modemSerial->begin(115200); // Default SIM7000 baud rate
  if (! modem.begin(*modemSerial)) {
    DEBUG_PRINTLN(F("Couldn't find SIM7000"));
  }
  */
Comment out the Software serial section code with /* ... */
and remove the /* ... */ from the Hardware serial section.

Does it compile now? Or at least is that error gone and now there's a new error?

I was getting an error like yours until I changed the above. Anyways, gotta dig through my Feathers again for one with more memory, am running into memory issues now. Ok, I'm passing out here, will pick this up again tomorrow. Have a good weekend!

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Morning Rob
You are right , looks like that is a whole new library, i will give it a try.

Q on the waveshare, if i want to use putty which usb connector did you use ? This link below shows two usb connectors, #12 says serial debugging and #13 says testing AT. Did you also have to power it externally with a 5v 2a power supply or does the usb cable have enough power ?
Thanks

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/SIM7600E-H_4G_HAT

rskup

Post by rskup »

Morning Jim, made some progress, woo hoo!

Long story short...it seemed best for me (after trying other Feathers) to switch to Tim's SIM7XXX_LTE_Demo sketch as it allowed me to use my original #2771 Feather with limited memory.

Anyways, after I commented out the software serial stuff, and un-commented the hardware serial stuff, it compiled and I got the "Menu" and all on the serial monitor. Yeah!

So at some point today will hook the Waveshare back up and give it a go!

On the pic in the link, I see that #12 (not #13) says "for testing AT commands", and has "USB" printed on the board -- that's what I used. Not the "USB to UART".

I didn't power the board externally, I just used the USB cable. But I also didn't try to make calls, etc..., just SMS stuff. Hopefully I'm not pushing any current limits on the laptop USB port doing that.

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Hi Rob
Just to be clear are you testing the waveshare with the feather or the botletics on the feather hardware pins rx and tx ?

My go to board for 99% of projects is the feather esp32 combined with a oled featherwing ( i like to see a display on most projects for status, etc) but then adafruit came out with this board #5483 a esp32 s3 tft , lots of memory plus a color display built in which i now use for most projects.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hey Jim, testing my Waveshare board with the #2771 Feather (which uses hardware pins).

Earlier today I was trying a Feather Huzzah with both the LTE_Demo and the ESP32_LTE_Demo sketches, but got errors with both I didn't recognize at all. So then found and read about the SIM7XXX_LTE_Demo sketch which uses less memory so I could continue to use the #2771.

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

I plugged in the USB cable to "USB" on the waveshare, opened device manager (win 10) and saw 4 ports listed as SIMCOM tried a few in putty but could not connect, then I tried COM12 (which was not listed in dev mgr) and it connected and I am able to type AT commands, very odd

I also moved the jumpers to "C" on the board

so it is kinda of working in putty right now, but need to do more testing. Curious what port you selected in your putty testing ?
thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”