incoming SMS messages delayed 15-30 minutes

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rskup

Re: incoming SMS messages delayed 15-30 minutes

Post by rskup »

It's the port that has "AT Port" in the description. You installed the drivers yes?

In this port 12, are you getting the "OK" back from the Waveshare?

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

the putty window seem to be working ok, a couple of things I have noticed though the red NET light alternates between solid and quick flash but so far my commands seem to work. btw did you set the baud rate to AT+IPR=9600 ? I saw that in the code so I ran that in the putty window

this is what is see in device mgr on win 10 (port 12 is not there but putty connected to
Screenshot (6).png
Screenshot (6).png (36.2 KiB) Viewed 816 times

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

btw I just tried COM7 and that worked also, thanks !

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

one thing I noticed is the fan on my laptop is running like crazy. When I unplugged the USB to the waveshare after a few minutes the fan stopped. I am going to add the wall adapter 5v power supply to the wave share and see if that helps.

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Hi Rob
The ext power supply made a big difference, the laptop is quiet again (I think it was drawing too much current and I was getting resets on the waveshare) Onto more testing now. thanks for all your help !

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

curious on the NET LED on the waveshare, I found this doc:
Net Light working mode Module working mode
Always on searching for the net or on the call
200ms on/200ms off Data connection established
800ms on/800ms off the network is registered
Off Shutdown or hibernate mode

I see a fast flash on mine (200ms)

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hmmm, the alternating red light, this may sound a little nuts but is your antenna wire near your usb cable? I have had connection issues at times when my wires were near or laid on top of the antenna wire. (OK, just saw your ext power supply update ... see below)

baud rates ... yes, I prefer the lower rates (like 9600) because it's not like anything is really shielded, especially when plain ol' jumper wires are being used for RX/TX connections. I've also had times when cleaning up my (usually messy) breadboard wiring has "fixed" serial comm issues.

Really interesting that port 12 worked, a secret port! But yep, 7 is the one.

Just fyi -- I once tried the Diagnostics port on a 7000 board "just because", and it never worked quite the same afterwards sadly.

Interesting that your fan kicked on. I keep wanting to get one of those USB power meters for situations like this, would be helpful.

btw, that 5483 looks super nice, added it to my Adafruit wish list!

OK, just saw the new posts about the ext power supply helping and the NET LED. Hmmm, yes, without the ext power operation may have been "iffy". I should probably add one to be safe.

NET LED ... I can't remember how fast or slow mine flashes, I'm usually just relieved to see it flashing! I always worry I've cooked something. Anyways, will let you know how it's flashing when I get it running (hopefully).

rskup

Post by rskup »

Yo, so far I cannot get any communication going between the SIM7XXX sketch and the 7600.

However, I took parts of an old sketch I made for my FONA3G rotary phone, did some editing, and was able to coax an "OK" and a "0,1" from the 7600 after sending an "AT" and "AT+CREG?".

So, the Feather will work, just need to understand the SIM7XXX sketch details.

Ok, gotta take a break!

Oh, and the NET LED is the quick flash.

rskup

Post by rskup »

I'm back, coffee, cookies, good to go.

Anyways, decided to switch to the "FONAtest_KEY_mode" sketch since I'm more familiar with that. Did the commenting/un-commenting of the software/hardware serial thing, commenting/un-commenting of the Adafruit_FONA/Adafruit_FONA_3G thing, re-assigned pins, and it works!!!

The FONA menu comes up, got network status (n), read my text messages on the sim (R), sent text messages (s), deleted text messages (d), all is good!

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Curious how did you wire the pins to the feather for flight mode D4 and power on off D6?
And the jumpers on the waveshare are set to the “b” position ?

That is my next goal is to try and get the wave share to connect to a feather esp32 and run the lteDemo code

Thanks

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

I just downloaded the latest (I hope) library from here
https://github.com/botletics/Botletics-SIM7000
Looks like he made some big changes, in the SRC folder it is now called BotleticsSIM7000.cpp vs FONA
I also see a ESP32_LTE_Demo.ino that I may try since I have a ESP32 feather board.

I also have been sending random SMS send/recv msgs today on the new waveshare, seems like once I provided the ext 5v pwr it has been stable and all msgs so far arrive immediately.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hey Jim, only wired up the RX/TX lines for now, just wanted to see if I could get the basics working. Planning on going back at some time for the other connections.

Yep, jumpers in the B position.

Will be interested to hear if you have luck with that ESP32 sketch. It would compile for me, but then there were errors I didn't understand. To the best of my memory, it was some kind of "file errors", and that "something.py" was missing, like a python file. Puzzling.

Anyways, want to get the Power On/Off working next, then try my Feather Huzzah32. If that works it more-or-less suggests the 5483 will work, which would be really slick!

Nice the SMS messaging is going well so far. btw, I'm using my T-Mobile sim in the Waveshare currently.

Ok, hope all goes well!

rskup

Post by rskup »

Morning Jim, was reading through the 7600 Waveshare wiki and came across the "Arduino Demo" section. For some reason that never registered with me before.

Anyways, they have sketches for the 7600, it's very plain compared to the FONA sketch. For example, there's a sketch for "PhoneCall", sketch for FTP, sketch for SMS, etc..., each function has its own sketch. Anyways, it might be worth a look for you, especially if all you want is SMS.

Dug around and found their code:
https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/File:SIM ... AT-Demo.7z

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Morning Rob
The plan for today is to see if i can get something basic running on the feather esp32 s3 tft. Have some yard work on the list also, raking leaves but will post back later today. I am still very pleased with the response times on sending and receiving sms msgs via putty, so far i have not seen any delays on incoming msgs. I am using the Ting card. I feel like adding that ext power supply helped a lot.

I did see those waveshare code examples but they seemed so sparse i think i will try the botletics code example first since i am most familiar with those.

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Hi Rob
A little progress today! I am using the Arduino\libraries\BotleticsSIM7000\examples\ESP32_LTE_Demo\ESP32_LTE_Demo.ino"

with this board from adafruit: https://www.adafruit.com/product/5483 (esp32-s3-tft)

In the code I set this:
used this doc to determine the pins: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-esp ... er/pinouts
(this was a little tricky each board has different IO pin numbers , at first I was using the esp32-s3 layout and then realized there is one for the esp32-s3-tft)

#define TX 1 // ESP32-S3-TFT
#define RX 2 // ESP32-S3-TFT
I have the ESP TX pin going to the RX on the wave share and ESP RX to TX

I moved the jumpers on the waveshare to the "B" position
the code compiled ok and when I opened the serial monitor window in the Arduino IDE a got the menu print out ! I tried some basic function like send and receive, so far so good.

Rob - thanks for all your help and suggestions over the last week or so, it kept me motivated on this project !
next steps are to run my own code (based on the menu system and a couple of timers to send a sms twice a day and look for incoming msgs and the finally re-test lots of incoming msgs and see if the SIM7600 is more reliable than the 7000 was.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”