Power AirLift FeatherWing ESP32 from Metro Express M4

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Giv

Power AirLift FeatherWing ESP32 from Metro Express M4

Post by Giv »

Hi,
I haven't located the Vin (3.3v or 5v) pin/s on the AirLift FeatherWing ESP32. The PDF mentions the following related Power Pins: GND, BAT - Positive voltage from JST on Feather for an optional LiPo battery, USB - Positive voltage to/from the Micro USB jack if connected, EN - 3.3V regulator's enable pin and the 3V - this is the output from the 3.3V regulator.

I like to know how to power the "AirLift FeatherWing ESP32" from the 5v or the 3v pins on the Metro Express M4 board and connect to which pin/s ?

Thank you for your assistance.
Giv
AirLift FeatherWing ESP32 Pins.pdf
(331.96 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

dastels

Re: Power AirLift FeatherWing ESP32 from Metro Express M4

Post by dastels »

5v on the Metro to USB on the AirLift Featherwing. BAT is irrelevant since the Metro doesn't have battery as an option.

Dave

Giv

Post by Giv »

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your quick answer/reply. I just want to point out, there are a few other Pins on the "AirLift FeatherWing ESP32", which are NOT labeled and there is no information provided on them in the PDF, such as the pin next to the Tx pin (on the face). Also, the two pins next to the "SCL" pin and the two pins next to the "SCK" pin (on the face).

If I am mistaking please let me know.

Thanks.
Giv

dastels

Post by dastels »

Only a handful of the Feather pins are used by the Airlift wing: just those noted on https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-air ... ng/pinouts.

Dave

Giv

Post by Giv »

Hi Dave,

I have hooked up the "AirLift FeatherWing ESP32" to "the Metro Express M4 " board;
M4 Feather
GND----->GND
5V------>USB pin

M4 Feather
SPIWIFI_SS 10 // Chip select pin
ESP32_RESETN 5 // Reset pin
SPIWIFI_ACK 7 // a.k.a BUSY or READY pin
ESP32_GPIO0 NOT connected

SPI pins----->SPI pins
(24,25,26) Picture attached.

Loaded the Metro Express M4 with "ScanNetworks.ino", but I am getting the following:

Starting ScanNetworks on SAMD51 ADAFRUIT_METRO_M4_EXPRESS with Custom WiFi using Custom WiFi Library
WiFiWebServer v1.9.5
WiFi shield init done
WiFi shield not present

I have tried other programs that worked with the "Airlift module" and worked fine, but this board doesn't respond. I have another one still in the Adafruit package and un-touched.

Please let me know if there is anything else I need to do.

Thanks.
Attachments
MetroM4Express-AirliftFeather.jpg
MetroM4Express-AirliftFeather.jpg (385.96 KiB) Viewed 162 times

dastels

Post by dastels »

You've double checked the pins as you wired them against those used in the code? Is there any LED activity on the wing?

Dave

Giv

Post by Giv »

Dave,
Sorry about the delay. I have checked pins and connections between the Metro Express M4 ande the AirLift Feather connections many times during that last couple of weeks. There are 8 connections (5v, GND), (3 SPI) and the (CS, Reset, Busy) pins. No LED activity on the AirLift Feather (as you may see in the Pic I attached originaly). The "AirLift – ESP32 Breakout Board" was labeled and dcoumentated much better.

So, please let me know if there is anything else I should be looking into.

Thanks.
Givi

dastels

Post by dastels »

Looking at the photo again... are you sure the SPI pins are correct on the Wing. here should be two pins at the end that aren't used (Tx, Rx) but it looks like you have 3.

Dave

Giv

Post by Giv »

Hi Dave,
Looking on the back of the board, the first pin is not marked. The Second and the third pins are marked for soldering pins (ESPRX and ESPTX and have connection to TX & RX pins; see attached). Then pin #4 is marked as MISO, pin #5 is marked MOSI and pin #6 is marked SCK, or all the SPI pins. Please let me know if the order is incorrect and I'll change the connections.

Thanks
Givi
Attachments
SPI and Control Pins.jpg
SPI and Control Pins.jpg (87.9 KiB) Viewed 147 times

dastels

Post by dastels »

OK. I was looking at the top of the board and the hole labels are between holes and a bit misleading. You are correct.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”