FONA 3G American Version - Required SIM

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ssturgis96

FONA 3G American Version - Required SIM

Post by ssturgis96 »

Hello all,

[Backstory] I'm working on a senior design project in my engineering class. We purchased the FONA 3G (American Version w/o Sim) in hopes of linking the module with data obtained from various sensors using Arduino IDE & Adafruit IO/WipperSnapper

We purchased a typical micro Sim from AT&T and inserted it into the module via an adapter. We know the module is correctly reading the Sim information via the FONA Sim Test using Arduino IDE. Our next step is to activate the Sim card, but AT&T said that the SIM/Network is not compatible with this module.
(We are based in Louisiana if that matters for some reason)

My question is: Why doesn't this Sim work correctly (and more importantly), Could you kindly refer me to a link to purchase a compatible Sim card?

This is my first time posting on Adafruit's forums, so please ask for any necessary details/pictures/etc.

Thank you!

rskup

Re: FONA 3G American Version - Required SIM

Post by rskup »

Senior design project, sigh, I remember those days (former ME here).

Anyways...the likely reason the ATT sim is not working is that ATT has no 3G network anymore.

I'm in NE Ohio, and also have a FONA 3G board (besides others) and the carrier that works for me with that board is T-Mobile -- but only because T-Mobile still has their old 2G network going!! Their 3G network is gone, but they still maintain their 2G EDGE network, though that may end soon. Below is T-Mobiles webpage on this issue, see 4th line under "key dates":

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/covera ... -evolution

The Sim5320 on the FONA can be put in 2G mode. So you could try switching to a T-Mobile sim (or an MVNO for T-Mobile), it might work for you in your area like it works for me, and maybe it will work long enough for your project to get graded!!

ssturgis96

Re: FONA 3G American Version - Required SIM

Post by ssturgis96 »

Thanks for the advice!

I'll have a talk with my project advisor tomorrow about it and see what he wants to do

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”