I2C indexing issue

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
lbos_7

I2C indexing issue

Post by lbos_7 »

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 4 model B with a 16 channel relay board (address: 0x20), an adafruit mcp 4725 digital to analog converter (address: 0x63), 2 adafruit ads 1115 (addresses: 0x48, 0x4b), and 7 adafruit mcp 9601 thermocouple amplifiers (addresses: 0x60, 0x61, 0x62, 0x64, 0x65, 0x66, 0x67) and I'm having an issues detecting all of the devices consistently when I run the sudo i2cdetect -y -r 1 command in the terminal window. Sometimes the 0x65, 0x66, and 0x67 addresses never show up, sometimes some of them do, and sometimes all of them show up with no issue. I also can disconnect other pieces of hardware and the addresses that I'm missing will show up. I suspect this may have something to do with all of the sets of pullup resistors, but I'm not sure where the pull up resistors are on the hardware I have, how to disconnect them, or if it's even possible to disconnect them.

lbos_7

Re: I2C indexing issue

Post by lbos_7 »

Here is a picture of the terminal and the issue that keeps occurring
Attachments
terminal.png
terminal.png (59.55 KiB) Viewed 148 times

lbos_7

Post by lbos_7 »

and here is the link to another forum post relating to the pullup resistors with i2c viewtopic.php?p=866848&hilit=remove+pullups#p866848

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Check the resistance between the RasPi's 3.3V pin and the SDA/SCL pins.

According to the I2C spec, the pull-ups should draw about 1mA when either SDA or SCL is pulled low. For a 3.3V supply, that puts the expected pull-up resistance around 3.3k.

I2C works far outside that estimate, but given the number of items you've connected, there's a small chance that the combined pull-up resistances are too strong for the RasPi's I2C pins. I'd only expect that to be a problem if the combined pull-up resistance is less than about 1k though.

lbos_7

Post by lbos_7 »

Thanks for your response. One thing I realized I forgot to mention is that I'm using a HAT for the Pi that is a 3.3V to 5V converter. Does that affect the recommended procedure that you gave me?

lbos_7

Post by lbos_7 »

I just checked the resistances and I got around 1.3 kOhm for both.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

lbos_7 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:33 am Thanks for your response. One thing I realized I forgot to mention is that I'm using a HAT for the Pi that is a 3.3V to 5V converter. Does that affect the recommended procedure that you gave me?
No. The RasPi's SDA and SCL pins operate at 3.3V, and that's all that matters.
lbos_7 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:53 am I just checked the resistances and I got around 1.3 kOhm for both.
That's a little low, but still a reasonable value. It puts the pull-down current at 2.5mA, which a RasPi pin can handle.

Let's take a look at the hardware. Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

lbos_7

Post by lbos_7 »

Thanks for your help. The issue has been resolved.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”