MemoryError When Connecting Pico W with Azure IoT Central

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
blakebr

Re: MemoryError When Connecting Pico W with Azure IoT Central

Post by blakebr »

Jacob,

Considering that a RPi Pico W is $6.00, should the marginal one be mounted in acrylic and used as a paperweight?
I see that they are available at AdaFruit and MicroCenter.

Were the two RPi Pico W microcontrollers purchased at the same time, from the same vendor, look any different on the detail level? I know the old Pico has gone through at least two different 2MB flash memory chips. If your eyesight is like mine you will need a magnifying glass or jeweler's lope to see what is etched on the chips.

What is the available memory in the flash memory and the ram memory right after flash_nuke.uf2 and loading the same CircuitPython version. One of the boards may have partitioned off some memory it found defective or marginal. Refer to Paragraph #1

Bruce

jbenowitz

Post by jbenowitz »

Hi Bruce,
Your output looks like stuff was sent. Line 76: #device.send_telemetry... is commented out in the screen dump shown. How do you determine that the information was received by Azure?
You're absolutely right, once I commented that line back in - boom - data received and everything is functioning normal.
Considering that a RPi Pico W is $6.00, should the marginal one be mounted in acrylic and used as a paperweight?
You had me laughing pretty good here! Don't ask me why, but I followed the same steps (fresh install of CP Beta4, fresh libraries, your code) on the marginal Pico, and it too is working now.

My goal for this project to to monitor the local environments in my apartment in order to determine the best spot to place each of my house plants. Now that I can actually send & store the data, the project can begin :-)

Thanks again for all of your help. Unfortunately, at the moment I still am not 100% on what mistakes I was making... It may be that some of the libraries or CP itself was corrupted when unzipping/installing? Maybe one of the usb cables was not a proper data cable? Not sure exactly.

I did start using Notepad ++, liking it so far. Sometimes simple really is better.

- Jacob
Attachments
azure_dashboard.jpg
azure_dashboard.jpg (71.57 KiB) Viewed 53 times
pico_azure_connected.jpg
pico_azure_connected.jpg (400.3 KiB) Viewed 53 times

blakebr

Post by blakebr »

Jacob,

I am glad both are working. It would have sucked if you had let the magic smoke out. We will probably never know what happened to make them work/not work. An invisible character, a misplaced space, tabs and spaces intermixed. Good luck optimizing your plants locations.

Bruce

jbenowitz

Post by jbenowitz »

Haha, true that. Thanks again Bruce, wish you the best!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”