70mm cool white led ring

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bradenandrey

70mm cool white led ring

Post by Bradenandrey »

Hi,
I saw while reading about this led ring light. That it will need a heat sink for it. I was wondering where and what is the proper size heat sink for it.
Thanks

dastels

Re: 70mm cool white led ring

Post by dastels »

A heatsink is one option:
Please note, this ring has a lot of LEDs on it and since its not in a heatsink case it will get hot - if you want to keep it on for more than a minute, either add a heatsink, PWM it or drive it at a lower voltage by adding a diode or resistor in series to reduce the current.
So you only have to worry if it's going to be on for more that a minute at a time. You can add a heatsink or reduce the amount of power being dissipated but using a lower voltage or by PWMing so the average power used is less.

I don't know about heatsinks, it largely depends on the situation. Sticking it to a piece of metal would be the most straight forward, being careful about the connection on the back.

As an alternative, have a look at https://www.adafruit.com/product/4433, which is similar and does have a heatsink as part of it.

Dave

Bradenandrey

Post by Bradenandrey »

Thanks Dave for the reply. I saw that light before but this one is perfect for my project. I was hoping to have the lights on for about 5-6 hours. So I figured a Heatsink is a must.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Yes, that will generate quite a bit of heat over that time. Maybe a fan blowing across the heatsink as well?

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”