KB2040 - Possible DOA

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GadelhasDev

KB2040 - Possible DOA

Post by GadelhasDev »

Hey all,

I have purchased 2 KB2040 from Digi-Key and when trying to connect them with my PC to flash a new bootloader on them, they don’t give out any LEDs or anything like. They seem just dead, I tried with BOOTSEL clicked and not clicked. Tried multiple cables (all of them good for data), tried multiple computers, and nothing.

I have contacted support@adafruit and they told me to post here before.

Thanks,

Gadelhas

mikeysklar

Re: KB2040 - Possible DOA

Post by mikeysklar »

What kind of machine are you on and what is the USB port you are using (USB2, USB3, USB3.x)? Have you been able to program other controllers with the same good data cables and ports from this machine?

Does your PC detect anything on the USB connection (Device Manager)?

This could be an unprogrammed batch if there is zero LED activity.

GadelhasDev

Post by GadelhasDev »

I'm using a Macbook Pro. So using Thunderbolt 3 ports. (Which should equate to USB 3.0)

I was able to program correctly XIAO KB2040 and other microcontrollers, with the same exact cable and port.

My PC doesn't show anything in the device manager or anything like that.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Okay, we can try a replacement since you have used Xiao KB2040's with the same port / cable combo. I find the lack of any LED activity to be disturbing as that is uncommon among Adafruit controller boards.

Please email [email protected] requesting replacements for your two KB2040s. They will need this forum link as authorization and your order#.

If it is not too much trouble when you receive the replacement let us know in this thread if that resolved it.

mpboddie

Post by mpboddie »

I think I am experiencing something similar with a KB2040 that I purchased direct from adafruit. I purchased 6 and of the 3 tested one of them doesn't seem to working. I've tested all three the same way and I have been able to upload and test QMK on the 2 that work in the same situation.

The one that I suspect to be bad the green power light turns on, but the neopixel LED does nothing and the Windows 10 computer I am using does not recognize it and shows the storage like the other 2 do.

Let me know if there are any other tests or information I can provide. I will try to test the other 3 I purchased as well.

mpboddie

Post by mpboddie »

I had a moment to try the other 3 real quick. All with the same computer, usb port, and cable, and 5 of the 6 work. For the 3 I just tested all I did was plug them in and make sure they were recognized and the neopixel LED was on, but that is still far more than the one that I think is DOA.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Normally you would need to open a new thread of your own and not jump on an existing one.

@bpboddie you have done sufficient testing so we can replace yours DOA.

Go ahead and contact [email protected] about the one DOA unit for replacement. Reference this forum link and provide your order#.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”