CircuitBrain Deluxe PinOuts

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jsalloneword

CircuitBrain Deluxe PinOuts

Post by jsalloneword »

Hello,
I'm just setting up a circuitbrain deluxe board and have it successfully boot in both Circuit Pythn and Arduino (selecting M4 Metro SAMD51 board). In both IDEs I can successfully get the device to blink its on-board LED. However, I am unable to get any output from other digital pins or input from analog input pins in the Arduino IDE.

In Arduino

Code: Select all

digitalWrite(4,HIGH); 
successfully turns the on board LED on. However, any other digital pins returns no voltage or signal output. (I have tested the pins with a multi-meter. It returns no voltage).

In CircuitPython
An

led = digitalio.DigitalInOut(board.D13)
and

led = digitalio.DigitalInOut(board.LED)
the on board LED works. When I run the CircuitPython pinmap script https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-hal ... nd-modules it states the on board LED should be mapped to D13.

However, D13 does not turn the built in LED on via the Arduino IDE. In that IDE it is D4 that controls that onboard LED which is odd.

In both cases I have a second LED (tested on another board to make sure it works) wired to D12 and in CircuitPython this works but in the Arduino IDE it does not.

The wiring of the USB is using an Adafruit USB-Micro B breakout board and is wired
5V - Vin (on circuitBrain)
GND -GND
D- to D-
D+ - D+
id left disconnected

I notice the CircuitBrain has a 3.3V output pin. Are the IO pins 3.3V logic? Or is Metro M4 not really a suitable baord to select due to different pin mapping? Is there a more ideal one?

Is there something else I am missing?

Any pointers much appreciated as ideally I would like to use Arduino over CircuitPython to program the device.

dastels

Re: CircuitBrain Deluxe PinOuts

Post by dastels »

Easy things first. Yes, that's the correct wiring for the USB breakout. Yes, the SAMD51 is a 3.3v chip. As I expected, the only thing the 5v from USB/Vin is used for is to feed the 3.3v regulator. All I/O is 3.3v logic, and the max voltage on analog input is 3.3v.

The more difficult thing is that you will need Arduino board support for the CircuitBrains Deluxe. It uses the same MCU as the Metro M4, but it isn't a Metro M4... the pin mapping will be different, and that's resolved by the board support package.

The pinout diagram does map SAMD51 port pins to Arduino pin names: https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/product-f ... pinout.jpg.

Dave

jsalloneword

Post by jsalloneword »

Thanks for your reply.
Yes i think I've narrowed it down to the pin mapping issue. I will contact the creator to seek advise for the board support if there is any for Arduino yet.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Good plan.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”