Lora 433mhz bonnet isues

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Ecoplant

Lora 433mhz bonnet isues

Post by Ecoplant »

Hi

I just received the lora 433mhz bonnet. I attached it to my rpi400 dock confirming the pinout lined up. Then after loading the required libraries ran the test example script. I first had issue with the i2c not showing up when running the test example. I scanned for i2c addresses but none show up. Thinking it may be a bad solder job on the bonnet to the oLED I removed all of the display related code. The scrip ran this time but now I get a device not recognized and to check the wiring. Any ideas? The buttons do work.

The bonnet did not come with the 6 digit code like the feather and break out lora modules i bought at the same time. It also dose not have any indicator on it that it is the 433 version, is that normal?
20221112_214210.jpg
20221112_214210.jpg (37.53 KiB) Viewed 149 times

Ecoplant

Re: Lora 433mhz bonnet isues

Post by Ecoplant »

Back side photo
Attachments
20221112_215148.jpg
20221112_215148.jpg (73.95 KiB) Viewed 148 times

Ecoplant

Post by Ecoplant »

The exact text off the print out is

RFM9x Error: Failed to find rfm9x with expected version -- check wiring

I tried testing the i2c with sudo i2cdetect. With the bonnet attached it tests very very slowly, which is probablytelling us something. No addresses show up.

Ecoplant

Post by Ecoplant »

What versions of python are acceptable with the required modules?

Ecoplant

Post by Ecoplant »

OK, so i loaded a whole new build from scratch on a new Rpi3 b+ and am getting the exact same issue, thinking i may have a bad board at this point. any help is greatly appreciated.

Ecoplant

Post by Ecoplant »

Dose anyone know how to get someone from adafruit to get involved? I have ether a bad board or there seems to be an issue with an adafruit library. I'm not sure how to test anything else.

Ecoplant

Post by Ecoplant »

i bought 3 devices, this bonnet, a stand alone lora module and the feather 32u4 lora. i have the feather working and the stand alone lora module working on my RPi3. this is really making me think the bonnet is the issue. i can also put other I2C devices on both RPis i am working with and they work fine.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

I2C is used to talk to the OLED. SPI is used to talk to the radio model. And GPIO is used to read the buttons.

Your first post mentions not seeing any addresses with an I2C scan. Let's investigate that first.

What specific model Pi are you using and how is the Bonnet being attached? (there's mention of both Pi400 and Pi3)

And just to be clear - with the Bonnet attached to the Pi, running:

Code: Select all

i2cdetect -y 1
from the command line shows no addresses?

Ecoplant

Post by Ecoplant »

Hi and thanks for responding.

the parts im using are seen on invoice 2954051 ordered nov 5th

i have tested on both my primary RPi400 and a fresh SD load on a new RPi3 B+ i had still in a box that i took out just to verify my tests.

I have scanned I2C on both devices with the bonnet attached, no addresses show up. i tested with other i2c devices and they show up and work fine on both platforms (rpi400 and rpi3b). Correct, i used the i2cdetect -y 1 while the bonnet is attached and no addresses show up. i will mention that the test process is very slow with the bonnet attached and takes several mins for it to complete. with other devices attached the scan is VERY fast taking less than a second.

the RFM96W radio portion of the bonnet is not working on ether the 400 or pi3, when i remove the display portion of the code in the test example. however, i tested the other lora module i bought (RFM96W lora breakout) and it works find on both the 400 and rp3. this is what leads me to believe there is something wrong with the bonnet

buttons work on both the 400 and the pi3

i am open to test anything you would like me to, just let me know.

adafruit_support_carter

The I2C scan behavior does not sound good. There's nothing else attached that could cause interference? It's just the Bonnet and an I2C scan?

Ecoplant

Post by Ecoplant »

Correct. When I execute the scan, or any of these tests, it is with the bonnet only.

Ecoplant

Post by Ecoplant »

hi, any more direction? Anything i can test or do i need to send this back to you or you sending me a new one?

adafruit_support_carter

Let's replace it. When you get the replacement, please try a basic I2C scan with the Pi3B+ mentioned above. Make sure it shows up as expected.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacement LoRa Bonnet.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”