Power supply with multiple large inductive coils in array

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jeep0100

Power supply with multiple large inductive coils in array

Post by jeep0100 »

I'm trying to create a large--30"x30"--table surface using nine large inductive coils (5141). I have a 24v, 2.5A power supply. If I am only powering the included wireless LED coils, is this power supply adequate to power the LEDs at 6"? If not, how large of a power supply would I need? All I have found on previous posts is that these coils should be linked in parallel which would maintain 24v to each coil, but that would reduce the available amperage to 277mA at each coil, correct? Also, do I need to retain all 9 circuit boards in this array or will one board suffice? Without any datasheets for this product, I'm concerned that I will either damage a board/coil with too much power or not have enough amperage for the system to operate properly.

adafruit2

Re: Power supply with multiple large inductive coils in array

Post by adafruit2 »

good question... we don't have a datasheet but we'd recommend 1Amp @ 24 volts per bigcoil, because the current draw will be affected by the number of LEDs.

jeep0100

Post by jeep0100 »

Perfect, I'll look for a power supply with ~9A @ 24v. Does each coil still require it's own board or can one board suffice? And is parallel the correct way to wire these to preserve their function?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you *def* want to have one board-per-coil. you can use something like
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1352
to 'split' the supply

jeep0100

Post by jeep0100 »

I have been experimenting with one of my 9 coils and a 24v, 10.4A power supply and noticed that the smaller LEDs offered on this site have a much shorter range than the larger LEDs even with the larger coil. I need the smaller ones to fit inside Lego pieces. Is there a way I can increase the range of these smaller LEDs? I've had some small success with using a second (unpowered) coil acting as a resonant coil over the powered primary coil. In my application, I can only place the resonant coil about 1.25" above the primary...also a resonant coil is not available through Adafruit. So what is the best way to create one (size wire, # of windings, capacitor needed, etc)?

Since I have far more amperage available than needed with only one coil powered, the available amperage can't be the problem. Is there any other way to maximize or increase the range? I am getting a little less than 4" on the small LEDs and they are pretty dim. I was expecting to get closer to 8" where the large LEDs start to fade.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yah thats the tradeoff with the smaller coils - they just dont work as far away. you can use the big ring, power with 24V to get the best 'range' but the coils have to align well. you could try to put a second coil at a 90 degree angle?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”