ESP32-S2 Feather & ESP-IDF

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jonathanberi

ESP32-S2 Feather & ESP-IDF

Post by jonathanberi »

I have several different ESP32 Feathers and use the ESP-IDF with them. I recently purchased the Adafruit ESP32-S2 Feather with BME280 Sensor and I have issues flashing over USB as well as running basic console apps. I don't have this issue with the ESP32-S3 Feather or the Magtag (which also uses the S2.) I also don't have issues with official Espressif devkits, but they have an external usb to serial which is far more reliable.

Has anyone tried using the Feather ESP32-S2 with the ESP-IDF? It's hard to determine if I have faulty hardware, missing a configuration or something else. With these new ESP32 that have on-board USB and not an external usb to serial, things are just trickier!

jonathanberi

Re: ESP32-S2 Feather & ESP-IDF

Post by jonathanberi »

I think I my have found the issue but will need to test some more. The `console basic` example explains it to some degree. The console for the S2 only is supported by the USB CDC via OTG peripheral (versus USB_SERIAL_JTAG or UART.) From what I gather different ICs support console output with different peripherals:
  • C3: USB_SERIAL_JTAG
  • S2: USB CDC/USB_OTG
  • S3: USB_SERIAL_JTAG or USB CDC/USB_OTG

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”