Bluefruit UART Friend - ATZ Loop

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
scholliday

Bluefruit UART Friend - ATZ Loop

Post by scholliday »

Hey all!
I just recently bought a UART friend from Adafruit, and I've tried to link it up to my Teensy 4.1, but to no avail. I've also tried with an Arduino UNO too, but that hasn't worked either. I've checked the wiring, it lines up.
Here's what happens: The Serial monitor boots up as expected, but then it goes through an ATZ loop, looking for the module, but it's not finding it for some reason.
I've tried hardware serial, power cycling it, and tried 3.3v and 5v VIN, since the mcu supports it. Doesn't work.
I feel like I'm at a loss here. I've tried literally everything, and I'm using the provided example code for the factory reset. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?
Here are some pictures I took of the setup:
TeensyBluefruit1-min.jpg
TeensyBluefruit1-min.jpg (957.38 KiB) Viewed 311 times
TeensyBluefruit2-min.jpg
TeensyBluefruit2-min.jpg (699.2 KiB) Viewed 311 times
Screenshot 2022-11-18 125321.png
Screenshot 2022-11-18 125321.png (18.33 KiB) Viewed 311 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Bluefruit UART Friend - ATZ Loop

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

As a sanity check, have you tested continuity from the solder joints on the Teensy to the solder joints on the BLE UART Friend? It's possible for a bad connection to look like it's wired properly.

Also, double check to make sure you have TX connected to RX both ways. That's a common gotcha with Serial connections, and can often catch people when they're moving quickly. So many other protocols use the same signal name at both ends of the wire that you automatically wire TX to TX and RX to RX.

Obviously that doesn't work.. TX talks, RX listens.

scholliday

Post by scholliday »

Hey there!

Here's what I've found out since. I found that the bluefruit that I bought was dead on delivery. I promptly got it replaced, and it finally started to blink.
After connecting the teensy 4.1 and bluefruit using the directed pinouts, I still wasn't able to get it working. I was, however, able to get it connected with an Arduino UNO. So, I was able to narrow it down to the teensy or teensy software.
I then saw your post and directly connected the pins on the teensy 4.1 and bluefruit using female to female headers instead of my breakout board. It still wasn't functioning right.
I believe this could be a compatibility problem with the teensy, but again, that's just my conjecture. It could be that the teensy itself is broken, but I'm not willing to test that out by buying another one, and my code has been uploading properly, so that hypothesis is less valid.
Any suggestions? Is there certain pins that I should change within the config file?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Serial connections shouldn't have anything special in the way of pins or configuration.

Try making a Serial connection between your Uno and the Teensy and see if you get anything that way.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”