Where are these three magical jumpers Ada speaks of?

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lonesoac0

Where are these three magical jumpers Ada speaks of?

Post by lonesoac0 »

Hello all,

I am looking into using bluetooth with the "Adafruit AirLift Shield - ESP32 WiFi Co-Processor". According to the documentation at: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-air ... python-ble,
Adafruit AirLift ESP32 Shield Wiring
If you have an Adafruit AirLift ESP32 Shield, you will need to solder three jumpers closed on the bottom side of the board to enable BLE. The rest of the ESP32 pins you need are already jumpered to certain shield pins.
WHERE is this documentation talking about? I am looking at the bottom of the board and nothing really pops out at me. In addition, I have checked the pin out documentation and no images of the bottom board either.

lonesoac0

Re: Where are these three magical jumpers Ada speaks of?

Post by lonesoac0 »

In general, I found what I was looking for under the: "ESP32 Control Pins" section in the pin out documentation. It looks like the GPIO0, RX, and TX pins.
Optional Control Pins:

GPIO0 - this is the ESP32 GPIO0 pin, which is used to put it into bootloading mode. It is also used if you like when the ESP32 is acting as a server, to let you know data is ready for reading. IIt's not required for WiFi, but you'll need to connect it to use BLE mode. Solder the pad on the bottom of the shield to connect it.
RX & TX - Serial data in and Serial data out, used for bootloading new firmware, and for communication when in BLE mode. Leave disconnected if not using BLE or when not uploading new WiFi firmware to the AirLift (which is a rare occurrence). You'll need to solder the two pads on the bottom of the shield to use these pins.
Looking at the bottom of the board, I see where these particular pads "look different" by their shapes. They have arrow like shapes. I guess this is it.

Anyone else feel like they are using the force when reading Adafruit documentation?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That part of the tutorial could be more clear. I'll mention it to the author.

Thanks for letting us know about it!

rickmini

Post by rickmini »

airlift pins.JPG
airlift pins.JPG (118.05 KiB) Viewed 102 times
https://learn.adafruit.com/upgrading-es ... firmware-2

I am still confused. In the tech support page above, it shows these 3 being hilighted, for soldering a jumper
but the 2 leftmost of them look like jumpers that can be cut, not jumpered.
Please clarify before i do damage to my board.
I am trying to update old firmware so that i can use bluetooth

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”