SPI flash addition to Feather MO RFM69 radio?

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gcm2

SPI flash addition to Feather MO RFM69 radio?

Post by gcm2 »

Fairly new at this, happily doing lotsa CircuitPython. I wanted to know if I can or "should" add an SPI flash (such as the Adafruit SPI Flash SD Card - XTSD 512 MB https://www.adafruit.com/product/4899 ) to a Feather MO radio. The Pinouts page states:

... hardware SPI pins, used by the RFM radio module too! You can use them as everyday GPIO pins if you don't activate the radio and keep the RFM CS pin high. However, we really recommend keeping them free as they should be kept available for the radio module...

The MO is pretty limited on storage. 256K flash.

danhalbert

Re: SPI flash addition to Feather MO RFM69 radio?

Post by danhalbert »

Unfortunately, there isn't a version of CircuitPython that would expect this SPI flash and be able to use it.

The M0 RFM Feathers were designed before CircuitPython existed. The SAMD21 M0 chips have very limited RAM and you can't write a large program.

I'd suggest instead that you buy the RFM69 FeatherWing (https://www.adafruit.com/?q=rfm69&sort=BestMatch, but 900 MHz version is out of stock) or the RFM69 module, or switch to the LoRa versions. Then you can use that with a more capable board, like a Feather RP2040.

gcm2

Re: SPI flash addition to Feather MO RFM69 radio?

Post by gcm2 »

Thank you! I'm still learning! I do have one pink RP2040 that I put paired with an RFM69 breakout - works great - but wanted to see if I could "upgrade" the 2 existing MO's. Likely another RP2040 or QT PY 2040 in my future.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”