Problems with Gemma while making Space Invaders pendant

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fernandog1

Problems with Gemma while making Space Invaders pendant

Post by fernandog1 »

I bought the components fot the penchant, several years ago and I haven't got the time until recently.

I thought that if I installed the most recent Arduino IDE (2.02) I would save some drivers installing.
It says a Programmer is needed to upload, but I already have selected Gemma, USBTinyISP as a programmer.
It didn't work.

Then I changed for previous versions of Arduino, bit I think the instructions have not aged well. Several manual steps or links that do not work.

Arduino 1.6.7:
avrdude: error at C:\Users\fglez\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\adafruit\hardware\avr\1.4.15/bootloaders/gemma/avrdude.conf:332: programmer type must be written as "id_type"
avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file "C:\Users\fglez\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\adafruit\hardware\avr\1.4.15/bootloaders/gemma/avrdude.conf"
So I applied the avrdude.conf but the syntax or something has changed. Didn't work.

I have a Linux machine and I tried using it. I get the error: Can't find USBTIny device.
I know I have to press the reset button in a certain moment. I have tried pressing it before the arrow button and after, and simultanoeously. Didn't work.

So I am getting different errors from different environments and I am not sure that Gemma is being detected correctly.

Is there a sanity check I can make?

Which would be the best Arduino version to use?
Are the drivers still valid? It says that Windows 10 doesn't need to install drivers. How can I know if I need drivers?
How can I know if board is working correctly?

I know time has passed but I still want to build my pendant-

Thanks in advance

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Problems with Gemma while making Space Invaders pendant

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Are you manually clicking the Gemma's reset button when the Arduino IDE is ready to upload the compiled firmware?

That's the most common gotcha with original Gemmas and Trinkets. There's no way for the IDE to force a reboot and launch the bootloader, so you have to do it by hand. It can take a bit of practice to get the timing right, but you have about a 10 second window from the time you click the reset button to the time the IDE starts transmitting firmware.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”