TCA9548A I2C Multiplexer (Product #2717). For multiple MUX on one bus: Need Example

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
john kauffman

TCA9548A I2C Multiplexer (Product #2717). For multiple MUX on one bus: Need Example

Post by john kauffman »

I need to sense the environment every 10 cm for 30 cm. I have four MUX’s each with several sensors. The multiple MUXs are on one I2C bus from Arduino. I can’t get data from the sensors.

This must be a common scenario. Is there an example somewhere? I’m using sensors AHT10, BH1750, BMP280, etc. but example can be any sensor.

The MUX address jumpers are set for different addresses: 0x70 through 0x73. The tutorial in Learn is for multiple sensors on 1 MUX, but not multiple MUXs w/multiple sensors each on one I2C.

Thanks.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: TCA9548A I2C Multiplexer (Product #2717). For multiple MUX on one bus: Need Example

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

This guide doesn't cover multiple muxer, but is good for a general reference:
https://learn.adafruit.com/working-with ... s/overview

The mux changes in Arduino must be done manually. The typical helper function to do that is:

Code: Select all

// Helper function for changing TCA output channel
void tcaselect(uint8_t channel) {
  if (channel > 7) return;
  Wire.beginTransmission(TCAADDR);
  Wire.write(1 << channel);
  Wire.endTransmission();  
}
That only works for a single muxer with a fixed known address (TCAADDR). You could modify that allow passing in the muxer address as well:

// Helper function for changing TCA output channel
void tcaselect(uint8_t tca_addr, uint8_t channel) {
  if (channel > 7) return;
  Wire.beginTransmission(tca_addr);
  Wire.write(1 << channel);
  Wire.endTransmission();  
}
and call it as needed:

tcaselect(0x70, 0);  # set muxer at address 0x70 to channel 0
However note that the unique address requirement for the entire I2C bus must still be maintained - even between muxers. Note that you can effectively "disable" a given muxer by sending all 0's for the channel selection (different that setting channel 0). So would need to alter the code more to provide a way to set that.

john kauffman

Re: TCA9548A I2C Multiplexer (Product #2717). For multiple MUX on one bus: Need Example

Post by john kauffman »

Carter:
Your tutorial at Learn is great, thanks for that. Worked well for the single-MUX scenario.
I have to travel tomorrow but on return will implement your suggestion of expanding the helper function.
- John

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”