Reading file saved on SPI Flash 4899

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SFS87

Reading file saved on SPI Flash 4899

Post by SFS87 »

Hello,
I was able to write data to a Adafruit SPI SMT 4899, and I was interested in learning how I can read this data from the chip? All of the instructions provided by the arduino website are for a standard SD card which you can just remove from the breakout and place in your computer to read. With this breakout, I am unable to do so as it’s embedded in the breakout.

How do I go about reading the data written to this flash chip?

I have been unsuccessful trying to print it to the serial terminal after it’s been generated or anything like that and I am unsure how to get the data off it. I would like to be able to capture the data to the file, then later on pull the data back off so capturing it from something like PuTTy or TeraTerm isn’t what I’m looking for. It could be a lot of data as I’m data logging so if there is a way to send that file directly to my pc that would be best.

Thanks!

mikeysklar

Re: Reading file saved on SPI Flash 4899

Post by mikeysklar »

Good questions.

If you know you want to regularly transfer files to a PC it would be a lot more convenient to use a SD card rather than this SPI flash fake SD card.

I can imagine circumstances where the performance or reliability of this SPI Flash SD solution would make more sense. In that case you should try the Dumpfile example. If that isn't working we can help you get going to pull the file over serial.

https://github.com/arduino-libraries/SD ... mpFile.ino

SFS87

Post by SFS87 »

Thanks! I was able to upload Dumpfile to my arduino while specifying the file name I was interested in, then it dumps the file into the serial monitor. So what I then did was close the arduino ide, then fire up PuTTy, and set the session logging to log to a file, and when it connects to the arduino it calles the uploaded sketch, which regurgitates the Dumpfile sketch which dumps the output of the file to the serial monitor which PuTTy logs and saves to a file. Hopefully that is what you were suggesting, and it worked!

Thanks!

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Well done. Glad you have a way to conveniently save those files.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”