Power output vs draw mismatch - how close is close enough?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
urban_arrow

Power output vs draw mismatch - how close is close enough?

Post by urban_arrow »

I want to add 2 Neon-Like LED Strips (Product ID: 3866) to my cargo bike via the accessory port on the Bosch motor which is a 12v, 1.5A output. Two of these strips (2 meters total) look like they draw 1.6A. What happens if the draw is .1A over the output? Does it matter? Will I explode?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Power output vs draw mismatch - how close is close enough?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What happens if the draw is .1A over the output? Does it matter? Will I explode?
That depends on the power source.
Some sources are conservatively rated and will produce stable voltage somewhat beyond the rated output. (whereas others may be optimistically rated and will struggle just to meet their specs). I'd expect a Bosch product to be well engineered and comfortably meet specs.

Once you exceed the actual maximum power output capacity of the source, several things could happen, depending on the design of the device:
  • The voltage may start to drop as the current draw increases
  • Fuses or internal protection circuitry may shut it down
  • The device may overheat and fail
Once again, I'd expect a Bosh product to be well engineered to fail in a safe manner - probably one of the first two options listed above.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”