Substitution for Feather M4 ExpressATSAMD51 Cortex M4?

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ubuntourist

Substitution for Feather M4 ExpressATSAMD51 Cortex M4?

Post by ubuntourist »

Hi,

I'm a programmer by trade, and an all-thumbs beginner when it comes to anything hardware-wise. I'm planning to build the LED Protest Sign. I've opted for the larger sign which apparently requires the Feather M4 Express and the FeatherWing. I have all the Adafruit parts listed in the guide except for the currently out-of-stock 5.5 / 2.1mm Barrel Connector - DC Power Plug, and...

...the Adafruit Feather M4 Express - Featuring ATSAMD51 - ATSAMD51 Cortex M4 which appears to be perpetually / permanently out-of-stock, and I have no idea if there's a compatible equivalent that can be attached and programmed using the instructions in the guide. (I don't know enough to improvise.)

I was hoping to get this done in time for a December 15th protest. So, is there an alternative or is there hope that the part will come in?

Thanx!

dastels

Re: Substitution for Feather M4 ExpressATSAMD51 Cortex M4?

Post by dastels »

You could switch to a MatrixPortal https://www.adafruit.com/product/4745 Which is essentially a Feather M4 Express, a Matrix Featherwing, and an Airlift Featherwing all on one board. And it's in stock.

Dave

dastels

Post by dastels »

Another option is the Feather RP2040 https://www.adafruit.com/product/4884 but it's also out of stock.

Dave

ubuntourist

Post by ubuntourist »

dastels wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:44 pm You could switch to a MatrixPortal https://www.adafruit.com/product/4745 Which is essentially a Feather M4 Express, a Matrix Featherwing, and an Airlift Featherwing all on one board. And it's in stock.

Dave
I've already purchased the larger display, with the thought that the M4 Express was only temporarily out of stock. I may go with the MatrixPortal if I don't find another solution, but since I've already got the larger display I was thinking that perhaps the reason the M4 Express wasn't available was because it was superseded by something newer that would get the job done.

dastels

Post by dastels »

The M4 Express is still a going concern. The problem is with the chip supply chain.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”