BLE UART Friend w/J-Link and nRFgo Studio?

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
TerenceD

BLE UART Friend w/J-Link and nRFgo Studio?

Post by TerenceD »

As shown in the pic below, I've got an Arduino Uno hooked up to an Adafruit Bluefruit LE UART Friend (product #2479). I've also soldered on jumpers to the SWC and SWD pads on the bottom of the BLE Friend and connected my Segger J-Link to it.
ArduinoBLEFriendSegger01.jpg
ArduinoBLEFriendSegger01.jpg (248.47 KiB) Viewed 155 times
Tinkering with a project, I've erased the BLE Friend but now I'd like to try and reflash it with the Nordic soft device, Adafruit bootloader and application firmware. I've got the this software from the following github repo: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Bl ... E_Firmware

I'm using the following files from the repo:
Nordic Soft Device: Adafruit_BluefruitLE_Firmware/softdevice/s110_nrf51_8.0.0_softdevice.hex
Bootloader: Adafruit_BluefruitLE_Firmware/bootloader/bootloader_0002.hex
Application: Adafruit_BluefruitLE_Firmware/0.8.1/blefriend32/blefriend32_s110_xxac_0_8_1_190410_blefriend32.hex

When flashing the BLE Friend with nRFgo Studio I do the soft device first, then the bootloader and then the application. Everything seems to work fine flashing it:
ArduinoBLEFriendSegger02.jpg
ArduinoBLEFriendSegger02.jpg (140.88 KiB) Viewed 155 times
I then restart the BLE Friend using the following at the command prompt:

Code: Select all

nrfjprog --reset
After flashing, the red light on the BLE Friend blinks steadily. I then start up Arduino IDE (v1.8.19) and compile and upload the bleuart_cmdmode project and the following happens in the serial monitor:
ArduinoBLEFriendSegger03.jpg
ArduinoBLEFriendSegger03.jpg (46.05 KiB) Viewed 155 times
The wiring appears correct and I also have the BLE Friend set to CMD mode.

I actually have an additional BLE Friend that I did not erase and can hook it up to the Arduino and the bleuart_cmdemode program works great. I test it with my Android phone running Bluefruit Connect and sending/receiving text thru the UART feature.

Anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong as far as reflashing the BLE Friend? I'm stumped on this one.

TerenceD

Re: BLE UART Friend w/J-Link and nRFgo Studio?

Post by TerenceD »

Update: After working with this more I realized the constant red LED blinking meant the bootloader was in DFU mode. I'm not sure why though since the I didn't do anything with the DFU line and I did flash the application hex after the bootloader as mentioned on my last post.

So, following the instructions here I was able to update the application using my Android phone and the Bluefruit LE Connect app and now my BLE UART Friend is working like new.

Strange to me that just flashing it with nRFgo Studio didn't work. Anyone know why?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”