unresponsive trinket m0

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
djuniah

unresponsive trinket m0

Post by djuniah »

My trinket m0 is stuck in an odd state. The dotstar LED is solid red and the status led just pulses infinitely (3-4 times/second). If i plug it into my computer nothing is detected (win11 and device manager doesn't even refresh when i plug it in, let along showing a new COM port or USB device). I had been using it just fine with circuitpython for a bit but quickly ran into memory limits when adding in a somewhat small library to the default py file that it came with (this was the library: https://github.com/bablokb/circuitpytho ... FPlayer.py). I decided to try and switch to the arduino IDE as i was more familiar with that anyways. I got that set up and uploaded a test build that would just blink the red LED on and off once every second, that worked just fine. I then tried to add the dotstar library to that script and hit upload again, this time it did not upload properly and threw a compilation error. I noticed that the arduino IDE for some reason had changed to a completely different board than the trinket m0. Not sure why, but it was shortly after trying to make that build that the m0 got into this stuck state. Hitting reset doesn't seem to do anything. Not really sure what happened here or what I can do to get it back up and running again. (to be clear, the circuitpy USB drive does not show up, and the COM port does not register anymore when I connect it)

EDIT: Just another detail, this is just the trinket m0 plugged directly in via USB, it's not connected to anything else, not even a proto board. I had just opened it and was getting familiar with it when this happend.

EDIT2:
To my knowledge, this was the last code uploaded to it:

Code: Select all

#include <Arduino.h>
#include <Adafruit_DotStar.h>

#define DOTSTAR_DATPIN INTERNAL_DS_DATA
#define DOTSTAR_CLKPIN INTERNAL_DS_CLK

Adafruit_DotStar strip = Adafruit_DotStar(1, DOTSTAR_DATPIN,DOTSTAR_CLKPIN, DOTSTAR_BGR);

// the setup function runs once when you press reset or power the board
void setup() {
  strip.begin();
  strip.setBrightness(20);
  // initialize digital pin 13 as an output.
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
}

// the loop function runs over and over again forever
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
}
EDIT3: I rebooted the PC and tried again, now it seems to be working properly. I wonder, maybe the computer didn't like it when i hit the reset button or something and disabled something on those USB ports? It was still providing enough power for it to start the chip though.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: unresponsive trinket m0

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Looks like reset fixed it. Agree - seems like something just got unhappy with the state of things on the USB bus and got all wrapped around an axle. Nothing obvious in what you did that could cause that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”