PyPortal Titano Connection Issues

adafruit.io wippersnapper BETA support, discussions, and more!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Hexen_Wulf

PyPortal Titano Connection Issues

Post by Hexen_Wulf »

So, I have been playing around with Wippersnapper and I think it's really cool. I originally got a PyPortal Titano to use with it and it connected perfectly. However, once I installed the .55 beta it's been pretty hit or miss.

I'll power it up and the NeoPixel indicator doesn't turn on at all, I only get a solid red power LED. Other times I'll power it up and I'll get a solid yellow light. When this happens, it seems my secrets.json file reverts back to the template that's included with Wippersnapper and I have to put my credentials back in.

I always ensure that I eject the drive before disconnecting it from my PC, and this issue hasn't happened with my ESP32-S2 at all. I don't currently have any other Wippersnapper compatible devices to test with. Has anyone else had this issue with the Titano?

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: PyPortal Titano Connection Issues

Post by brubell »

Hi - confirming some things...

1) Which firmware are you using? We don't have one for the Titano (I can add one..) and I've never tried it..
2)
I'll power it up and the NeoPixel indicator doesn't turn on at all, I only get a solid red power LED. Other times I'll power it up and I'll get a solid yellow light. When this happens, it seems my secrets.json file reverts back to the template that's included with Wippersnapper and I have to put my credentials back in.
Could you get the output of the boot.txt file from the WipperSnapper drive when it's red or yellow, and paste that output here?
3) Is the secrets.json file on the ESP32-S2 exactly the same as the one on the PyPortal Titano?

Hexen_Wulf

Post by Hexen_Wulf »

Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

1. By Firmware, do you mean the Wippersnapper uf2 file? I use the one that's given to you when you add a PyPortal device to Wippersnapper since there isn't a choice for the Titano. (If you add specific Titano firmware because of me, I might just die from joy!) It worked fine in version .54, but once I migrated to .55 it started acting up. I don't have a backup of the old .54 uf2 file, or else I'd just go back to using that.

2. I don't have the Titano on me at the moment, but I'll get that boot.txt info for you ASAP.

3. I believe so? I'm using the exact same wifi network and Adafruit for both. I can compare it directly once I've got my Titano.

Hexen_Wulf

Post by Hexen_Wulf »

Oh, just thought of something. I have used CircuitPython before on this Titano, and it never says "Wippersnapper" once I've added the uf2 file. It'll just say something like "USB Device." I don't know if this is related.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

We have a request for titano, please comment on it to bring visibility towards it: https://github.com/adafruit/Wippersnapp ... /issues/25

> Oh, just thought of something. I have used CircuitPython before on this Titano, and it never says "Wippersnapper" once I've added the uf2 file. It'll just say something like "USB Device." I don't know if this is related.

It shouldn't, but, I'm interested to know if it does. I need error output from the device (either the serial monitor or via the boot.txt file) to better diagnose what's going on.

Hexen_Wulf

Post by Hexen_Wulf »

How would i get you that error output? I'm used to using REPL for CircuitPython, but have no idea how to do that with Wippersnapper.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

You'd need to use the Arduino IDE's serial monitor.

Hexen_Wulf

Post by Hexen_Wulf »

Alright, I've got my Titano on me and I have Arduino IDE installed. I've got it hooked up to my Windows 10 64bit PC via the USB cable Adafruit suggests you buy with their products.

Right now, the Titano is showing a solid red NeoPixel. Arduino IDE does not detect the board at all. It did detect my ESP32-S2 however. Pressing the reset button once makes the NeoPixel turn off, and then it comes back solid red. Disconnecting the cable and reconnecting it shows the same result. File Explorer does not show the drive at all.

Double tapping the reset button puts it into the bootloader mode and now I can see it in File Explorer. Here are the contents of my INFO_UF2.txt file:
UF2 Bootloader v3.14.0 SFHWRO
Model: PyPortal M4 Express
Board-ID: SAMD51J20A-PyPortal-v0

If I place the Wippersnapper UF2 file in there, it shows the red NeoPixel again and I cannot see the drive. Double tapping reset brings it back.

I think my Titano may be bricked...

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Can you install CircuitPython on the titano?

Hexen_Wulf

Post by Hexen_Wulf »

It doesn't seem so. I used the CircuitPython 7.3.3 uf2 file and now it shows as a USB Drive with nothing in it. Resetting the board shows the same thing. Occasionally the NeoPixel flashes Green.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Could you try updating the bootloader? https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pyp ... bootloader

Hexen_Wulf

Post by Hexen_Wulf »

Thinking back on when this first occurred, I had just gotten the STEMMA Soil Sensor to use with the PyPortal and Wippersnapper. I had been testing it (Mostly by just touching it with a finger) when the feed stopped updating and this issue began. Sorry for the flood of information, but I know stupid little details like this might matter.

It has not been exposed to moisture, and I've been storing everything in their original anti-static bags when not in use.

As far as updating the bootloader, it looks like the most up to date version for the PyPortal Titano is 3.14.0, which is what it currently has installed.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

If you can connect to the CircuitPython device via the REPL, you can try typing the following to reformat the drive.

Code: Select all

import storage
storage.erase_filesystem()

Hexen_Wulf

Post by Hexen_Wulf »

When I have it plugged in, it's got a solid red light unless it's in the Bootloader mode. When it's like that, the board isn't detected at all by either Mu or Arduino IDE. I can't even get the drive to appear after loading Circuit Python on the board. Is there anyway to set it back to 'factory defaults' via the hardware, or is software my only option?

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

You mentioned above that you "used the CircuitPython 7.3.3 uf2 file and now it shows as a USB Drive with nothing in it." Can you get back to that state?

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Adafruit IO Wippersnapper Beta”