CircuitPython / blinka / Adafruit-WS2801 suggestion needed for alternative boards

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
meeotch

CircuitPython / blinka / Adafruit-WS2801 suggestion needed for alternative boards

Post by meeotch »

I've developed a project on a Pi 400 that requires the adafruit WS2801 library, which in turns needs CircuitPython and blinka. With the current unavailability of "regular" Pi boards like the 3, 3 B+, and 4, I need to pick up a few units of some alternative.

Can anyone advise about potential compatibility problems, or suggest a compatible alternative to paying $150+ for a Pi 3? (The CircuitPython site claims compatibility with 3/3B+/4/etc.) Is there anything out there that's currently available for a reasonable price, and is close to a drop-in replacement for a Pi? Maybe something by Odroid, Libre or Rock?

I'd really prefer not to develop for a board that's not my ultimate target. So the closest I can get to standard Pi, the better. Also, the project requires WiFi, though I suppose I could buy WiFi dongles, if need be.

mikeysklar

Re: CircuitPython / blinka / Adafruit-WS2801 suggestion needed for alternative boards

Post by mikeysklar »

There are dozens of non-Raspberry Pi single boards computers that Blinka supports. These also use a 40-pin header. You can see the list here:

https://circuitpython.org/blinka?features=40-pin+GPIO

FWIW, the Pi Zero is priced high, but still obtainable on eBay and such.

meeotch

Re: CircuitPython / blinka / Adafruit-WS2801 suggestion needed for alternative boards

Post by meeotch »

Thanks for the list - great info. A casual survey turned up one model, the Banana Pi BPI-M2+, that specifically mentions Rasbian. Are there others that anyone knows to be (near)perfect drop-in replacements for a Pi 3 or Pi 4?

Dealing with non-stock OS images seems like a significant enough obstacle for finding a truly drop-in replacement that won't affect my software development. Any anecdotes about particular models that are pain-free rPi replacements are welcome.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The key for blinka support is making sure that the PlatformDetect knowns about the SBC. You can look closer at the script and maybe determine which boards share the most Pi like features. I don't know which the best clone is. I suspect they all will have weird issues which is exactly what you want to avoid.

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Py ... t/board.py

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”