Stay with Itsy Bitsy M0 Express for EPD Project or upgrade?

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
borissid

Stay with Itsy Bitsy M0 Express for EPD Project or upgrade?

Post by borissid »

Hi,

I am currently working on an E-Paper display project. Previously, I have used a Adafruit Itsy Bitsy M0 Express that worked on Arduino to power a flexbile 2.9" EPD. The task for the microcontroller is to be able to be battery powered, store several images and videos/gifs, and display them on the EPD, that is about it.

For the purpose of powering the 2.9" EPD, the Itsy Bitsy worked just fine, however, I am going to start working with bigger displays (between 3-6 inch EPDs), and displays with more colour capabilities, soon, and want to know if the Itsy Bitsy would still be able to hold up powering such displays and supplying them with the images, or if I should start thinking about more powerful/fast microcontrollers that perhaps also have an sd card slot to hold all the bigger .bmp data?

It is also important for me to be able to work on the Arduino IDE, as that is where I am most comfortable with the code.

Thank you very much in advance for the help and advice!

Borissid

dastels

Re: Stay with Itsy Bitsy M0 Express for EPD Project or upgrade?

Post by dastels »

As long as you stick with C++/Arduino, the ItsyBitsy M0 should be fine. Adding an SD card reader is a separate thing and related directly to how much data you need to have available. I would stick with what you have now until it proves to be not up to the task. If that happens, moving to an ItsyBitsy M4 would be a reasonable approach.

Dave

borissid

Re: Stay with Itsy Bitsy M0 Express for EPD Project or upgrade?

Post by borissid »

Understood! Yeah, I will do it like that, thank you for clearing this up!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”