Micro SD card module with Arduino Pro Mini

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
short_circuits

Micro SD card module with Arduino Pro Mini

Post by short_circuits »

I'm just building a simple datalogger. I bought the MicroSD card breakout (product 254) and a couple of 256Mb cards (https://www.adafruit.com/product/5251). I don't see any detailed specs on the 256Mb MicroSD cards, but there is general mention of the microSD cards being power hungry; " up to 100mA (or more)!" (from the tutorial https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mic ... l/look-out ); this is a bit lacking as a specification, probably card specific, but there are no specs for this unbranded card. The Arduino ProMini is a 5V version and has a 5V regulator rated at 150mA max; I was planning to power the microSD module from the ProMini 5V regulator. Does anyone know the specs on the 256Mb microSD card that Adafruit is selling? I suppose it will be write cycles that draw the most current. Are there detailed specs for this 256Mb microSD card? The card is unbranded.

mikeysklar

Re: Micro SD card module with Arduino Pro Mini

Post by mikeysklar »

The current draw of the SD Card will likely be less than 40mA in SPI mode. Especially with the low SPI speed of the Arduino Pro mini.

The size of your card can be an issue. What filesystem were you going to use? If it is FAT32 you will be limited to a 32GB card.

short_circuits

Post by short_circuits »

Thanks so much for this information. I do wish Adafruit had datasheets for these cards but, in the end, I just want it to work and not smoke these old ProMinis. I just have these 256MB cards I got from Adafruit.

I can't believe this! There can't be more than one Mikey Sklar in this business! I saw videos of you sticking microchips in your hand years ago, and other crazy stuff you posted. You're a legend! Thanks bro. Best!

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

You might be able to find a data sheet. What does it say below the sticker?
Screenshot from 2022-12-01 13-44-50.png
Screenshot from 2022-12-01 13-44-50.png (137.6 KiB) Viewed 97 times
You have a good memory. That is the first time I've been outed in the forums.

short_circuits

Post by short_circuits »

Thanks for that tip. I'm 71 and a good candidate for a Jitterbug phone - didn't even see that lazer etched code - but, with my dissecting microscope, I found this under the reflective sticker >> AOFCAM2108AC

I searched this, found one image that shows this on the back of a MicroSD card, but I'm not hitting any manufacturer ID, info or data sheets. Does this code reveal anything to you?

I would just like to know the peak currents drawn by the card. I like to know, plan. I'm so over the "smoke test" phase of electronics. (grumbling.... seems Adafruit could do a bit better here... This IS constructive!!!!)

Thanks again!

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I'm not able to find anything of value based on the part number you were able to locate.

I did look a the spec for SD cards. 100mA is the max draw for SPI mode. This is based on the 2013 standard so a reasonable time period close to when this size card was common.

https://academy.cba.mit.edu/classes/net ... /SD/SD.pdf

short_circuits

Post by short_circuits »

This document is extremely helpful. 99% of it not going to be immediately useful, but I do see the power max specs and it gives me great respect for the people writing the interface libraries.

Again, thank you for your help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”