USB LiIon/LiPoly charger - v1.2 Questions

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JefferyS

USB LiIon/LiPoly charger - v1.2 Questions

Post by JefferyS »

Hi, I purchased two from Mouser.com and after looking at the schematics I had some questions.
I already searched the forums the best I could.

First, It shows in the schematic that the battery and load connectors are connected to the same line.
I want to connect the load to a ESP32 Dev BANNED, do I connect to the 5 volt input on the ESP32 so it goes through the 3.3v regulator?

Second, if I change the charge amount do I need to remove the SMD resister first. For a 500mAh battery (Product ID: 1578) 500mA charge seems too much.

Third, the data sheet says it can be attached to a microcontroller using the status outputs though I haven't found anything on doing that. In the MCP73833 data sheet is shows Hi-Z and L as the two outputs that can be on the two pins. L I understand as Low but Hi-Z, do I need to use a pull-up resistor to 3v3 on each status to get a high on the GPIO pins on the ESP32?

Thanks for all your help,

Jeffery

adafruit_support_bill

Re: USB LiIon/LiPoly charger - v1.2 Questions

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The output of the LOAD connections will be the same as the battery voltage. So it may vary from about 3.2v to 4.2v - depending on the state of charge. So you will want it to run through the regulator on the ESP32 board.

To lower the charge rate, you will need to remove the SMD resistor and replace it with a higher value resistor. A 10K resistor will give you a 100mA charge rate which is the 'standard' charge rate for your Lipo.

The status outputs are already pulled up via the indicator LEDs. So you just need to connect them to a GPIO pin to read them.

JefferyS

Re: USB LiIon/LiPoly charger - v1.2 Questions

Post by JefferyS »

Awesome, Thanks for all your help!

Jeffery

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”