ESP32-S2-TFT - minor design problems

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
clarkj

ESP32-S2-TFT - minor design problems

Post by clarkj »

Let me start by saying that I've fallen in love with the ESP32-S2-TFT Feather (pid 5300), even though I managed to fry the first one I bought (my fault).

I've found a couple of relatively minor design problems with it. (There's an old saying that "the one thing there's always room for is improvement!")

The first is that the StemmaQT/Qwiic connector is vertical and on the front -- I'm not the only one to have run into this -- see viewtopic.php?p=916659#p916659 and like him, I hadn't thought about using a https://www.adafruit.com/product/4527 -- maybe it would be worthwhile to include mention of the technique in the "Primary Guide" for it?

The second problem that I've run into is that the two mounting holes on the end away from the USB connector are just a TAD too small to put a 2.5mm screw through (as in pid 3658). I ended up using a "hobby knife" to ream them out a bit to allow me to mount the standoffs -- that took about an hour and I went through about 4 blades because of the abrasiveness of the fiberglass board. FWIW, I was working on an "IMU Demo" box where I encourage people to shake it -- it really needs all four standoffs in this application. Mounting it all in a clear "crayon" box from WalMart made for an attractive demo. (I suspect that calling out the next drill size up would solve the problem.)

It looks from the pictures like the S3 version (pid 5483) has the same issues, although I don't have one of those "in hand" to verify it.

bidrohini

Re: ESP32-S2-TFT - minor design problems

Post by bidrohini »

I hope adafruit will take these matters into consideration.

clarkj

Post by clarkj »

Yay! The Adafruit ESP32-S2 Reverse TFT Feather just showed up under "New Products". I've placed an order, and we'll see if my issue with two of the mounting holes has also been addressed, but at least having the TFT being on the opposite side from the connectors has been resolved! (The problem with the mounting holes being slightly too small for an M2.5 screw can be taken care of by the user with a few minutes work reaming them out with a hobby knife.)

I saw the post a few weeks ago about Lady Ada working on the prototypes for these -- since I've been "chomping at the bit" to get an order in for them, maybe she should add "replacement bits" to the storefront! ;-)

clarkj

Post by clarkj »

I got my order with Adafruit ESP32-S2 Reverse TFT Feather earlier today. Haven't had a chance to fire one up yet, but I did check the mounting holes that I noted on the "non-Reverse" board, and found that they have NOT changed. The two mounting holes over by the USB connector will fit M2.5 screws/standoffs, such as in PID 3658, but the two holes at the other end will not accept them.

I did notice that the "Computer repair screw kit" PID 5411 includes M2 screws and standoffs, but when I checked them, although the M2 threads will fit through these holes there are two problems: first, these are metal, and will be within the "near field" of the WiFi antenna on the ESP32 module and thus may cause RF problems with the WiFi, but even worse, the standoffs won't fit past the module, and the screws are too short to clear the module and thread into a standoff. There are no M2 nuts in the kit.

My digital caliper (from Harbor Freight) claims that the holes by the module are 2.20 mm, while the ones by the USB connector are 2.55 mm (and note that this is the plated size, as these two holes are plated).

Another possible solution would be to have a version of PID 3658 that has nylon screws, nuts, and standoffs with M2 threads. (Actually, I like this solution best.)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”