Direct USB gamepad with Makecode Arcade?

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DeemsDeems

Direct USB gamepad with Makecode Arcade?

Post by DeemsDeems »

Hello wonderful people of this magic community. My name is Dmitry, I’m an art teacher from Brooklyn NY and I’m just discovering MakeCode, Adafruit and Raspberry Pi. I really want to integrate all these amazing tools into my classroom but at this point I’m not sure I can go straight into building an arcade cabinet so I had an idea for something simpler, however I cannot, for the life of me, find a way to confirm whether it’s even possible. Maybe my question is too simple and the answer is too obvious? That’s probably the case, but perhaps someone on this forum can find the patience for my noobiness and help with my dilemma? I would be very grateful because I can’t find the answer to this anywhere.

What I can’t understand is this - is it possible to put a MakeCode game onto the SD card in the Raspberry Pi, run it with one of the firmware zip files provided here, and most importantly play said game using a USB joystick or gamepad that is plugged into the second USB port on the Pi? Or the only way to do this is by attaching wires and pins? Thank you so much in advance to anybody who answers this noobious cry for help.

And thank you Adafruit for having this forum and for all the super inspiring things you do!

mikeysklar

Re: Direct USB gamepad with Makecode Arcade?

Post by mikeysklar »

This guide will get you going with MakeCode Arcade and a Pi.

https://learn.adafruit.com/makecode-arc ... zero/setup

The Pi Joy Bonnet can be directly on a Pi Zero no soldering or wires and it what the guide above uses.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3464

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”