defective 1.14" TFT with microSD

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
crazyleggs77

defective 1.14" TFT with microSD

Post by crazyleggs77 »

I purchased two 1.14" TFT with microSD a couple of weeks ago, Sales Order No.2967137-9648310759. I ran the graphicstest program and followed the datasheet for this product connecting the TFT displays to an arduino Nano. One of the TFT displays works with no issues. The other one using the same circuitry and test program does not work. Can I return the defective TFT for a working one? How do I do this?
thanks
chuck

dastels

Re: defective 1.14" TFT with microSD

Post by dastels »

Please post clear closeups of the soldering & connections on the display that doesn't work.

Dave

crazyleggs77

Post by crazyleggs77 »

I made a more organized circuit and am getting the same error. Here are some clearer pictures of the circuit.
Flash circuit_1.JPG
Flash circuit_1.JPG (42.55 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Flash circuit_3.JPG
Flash circuit_3.JPG (38.89 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Attachments
Flash circuit_2.JPG
Flash circuit_2.JPG (41.6 KiB) Viewed 61 times

dastels

Post by dastels »

Different project, but I'm wondering if the resistors along with the natural capacitance is messing with the waveforms. Try making the wires as sort as you possibly can (and put the components closer together. Slowing down the speed of the SPI connection might help as well.

Dave

crazyleggs77

Post by crazyleggs77 »

Thanks for responding. I have attached a photograph of the solder joints. I also checked each connection for connection to the breadboard and to check for shorts to adjacent pins. All pins have good connectivity to the breadboard and the resistance with adjacent pins either ~10 Mohm or open circuit.
1.14 TFT solder connections.JPG
1.14 TFT solder connections.JPG (30.41 KiB) Viewed 53 times

dastels

Post by dastels »

The soldering on several of the pins looks questionable. You should not see any of the copper ring around the hole and they should look like circuit tents, not domes or balls. See https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... -soldering and https://learn.adafruit.com/collins-lab-soldering for tips.

Dave

crazyleggs77

Post by crazyleggs77 »

I didn't post a picture of the wiring between the nano and the TFT because they are the same as the connections for the one that works. I just interchange the TFT on the breadboard, so I don't see how the connections to the nano could be a factor.

dastels

Post by dastels »

I'm referring to the soldering on the display in the image.

Dave

crazyleggs77

Post by crazyleggs77 »

Dave: Thanks for the suggestions. I am pretty confident that there isn't a solder problem and rewiring the flash card is more trouble than it is worth. So, I have purchased the SPI Flash that was suggested earlier that can accept 5V logic and go from there. The bad TFT glass part of the display appears to be only loosely connected to the circuit board, so I think this is the problem. In any case, I am giving up on both the TFT defective and flash issues. Both of these Forum topics should now be closed.
thanks,
chuck

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”