Ungluing displays from the boards

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vlsim

Ungluing displays from the boards

Post by vlsim »

Hello everyone.

I recently purchased the following displays:

2.0" 320x240 Color IPS TFT Display with microSD Card (https://www.adafruit.com/product/4311)
1.14" 240x135 Color TFT Display + MicroSD Card (https://www.adafruit.com/product/4383)

And I was wondering if it is possible to unglue them from the board without damaging them.
Asking because I want to put both displays closer together and the space in the case that I want to put the displays in is quite limited. The PCBs that the displays are located on take up quite a lot of space so having a little more wiggle room would help a lot.

blakebr

Re: Ungluing displays from the boards

Post by blakebr »

Hello,

Warning: What ever you do will Void the Warranty!

I have lifted screens off of boards using a hair dryer on the low setting and round tooth picks as pry-bars. Go very slowly.

You break it, You bought it!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The displays are attached to the boards with a double-sided adhesive. It is usually possible to detach them by gently prying from the edge. Work gently and slowly to avoid cracking the glass. Some mild heat can help to soften the adhesive.

vlsim

Post by vlsim »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was able to unglue the displays without damaging anything. And thanks for the warranty warning, definitely understand that it is now void.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”