General n00b questions...

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vodzurk

General n00b questions...

Post by vodzurk »

Hey everyone!

I'm starting to get into building things with modules and 3d printed structures to hold them... and have some really basic questions if anybody can help out a n00b?

I've just completed my first built "thing", which I've called the ESParto (linky if interested). Yep, silly name, I wanted something with "ESP" in it :).

But I'm noticing some ways it really sucks...
  1. I think my wires are wayyy too meaty for 3.3v signals and a small current. I used 22 AWG, and have just ordered some 24 AWG... but do I actually need something smaller like 28AWG to push 500mA, or something thin for signal wires?
  2. Is there a better module/device/way/thing/lump-of-metal/crimp that can be used to dump all of the 3.3v lines and GNDs into? The things I'm using are chunky bois, and seem oversized for such a small thing. Is there some sort of power/ground rail thing things can just tap into in either a semi-permanent or permanent way? Or is it just a case of twist + solder 'em?
  3. Are there any tips for tidying up wires? Or is the next step to move to a PCB? Or is this where proto-boards come into play? It seems like wires very quickly multiply and get out of hand.
Thanks in advance everyone, and apologies for such dumb questions... it just seems I keep ordering more wire and bits and stuff, and then always never quite have the right things!
Attachments
IMG_20221204_175812s.jpg
IMG_20221204_175812s.jpg (238.51 KiB) Viewed 101 times

dastels

Re: General n00b questions...

Post by dastels »

1. The only thing to worry about is that the wire is big enough to handle the current going through it. Logic signals are pretty insubstantial so 32 AWG is plenty. There's no downside to using bigger wire than absolutely necessary, other than the physical aspect of it. I've found https://www.adafruit.com/product/3164 to be great for logic wiring. The silicone insulation doesn't melt either when soldering, which is great.

2. What you have is fine other than being a bit chunky. You could take a permaproto (e.g. https://www.adafruit.com/product/1608) and cut off one of the sets of power rails along a side. Then use that as, well, power rails and solder your power/ground wires onto it. Using the holes keeps it nice & neat.

3. Yes, that is one way protoboards can be useful. But sometimes you just need to use wires. These wire sets come in handy for making custom wiring harnesses. E.g. https://www.adafruit.com/product/3633 and related products (there's a dropdown of options on the right) and the end housings for them. E.g. https://www.adafruit.com/product/3145.

There are no dumb questions, just ones you need the answers to.

Dave

westfw

Post by westfw »

First: that looks really nice! A real and significant step above the projects one sees built on protoboards.

I would have used wire-wrap wire (30g) and a WW tool do do the connections between boards where there are square posts on both sides. But that's because I already have the tool and a large stock of wire. (both have gotten relative expensive and hard to find :-( )

I also make a lot of use of the wires from Ethernet patch cords, which are usually 24g (slim or flat cables might be down to 28g); again, this is largely because I have a lot of it (after a while, ethernet cables tend to multiply like coat hangers.)

There's no reason to search out smaller wires, except for the sake of appearance. And the bigger wires are sturdier, and perhaps better for the power connections. (although probably not necessary here.) The silicone-insulated wire that @dastels mentioned is great stiff, especially if you start soldering it (the silicone won't melt like cheaper insulation), but it can be expensive and a bit bulky (and "floppy", which is usually listed as a "feature", but perhaps not if you're trying to get it to lie flat pushed into the crevasses of a project.)

The things you're using for power/ground distribution are sort-of neat. While I'd probably twist and solder and tape (or heatshrink), I can't really think of anything that matches the neatness and built-in "insulation/isolation from stuff" of what you're using currently. Some "wire nuts" claim to handle 5x 22g wire, but that seems pretty iffy.

vodzurk

Post by vodzurk »

dastels wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:31 pm There are no dumb questions, just ones you need the answers to.
Hey dude, cheers for the tips! There seems to be few places where dumb/n00b questions can be aired, so I appreciate it :)

Glad to know I'm not going mad in wondering what the next steps could be to reduce the clutter :). As this project works as intended, I think I'll leave it be (I'll probably start something new this weekend... likely the receiver side), but i really don't wanna make such a cluster of mess again, so thanks!

I've just gone ahead and ordered a batch of 30awg wire, which I'll use for logic. Then for 5v @ 500mA power I'll probably drop back to my 24awg (ideally I guess thatd be 26 or 28... but guess what I've got until now... 24, 22, 18, 16 and even a bit of 10awg... it's working out to be quite expensive buying the wrong stuff!). Hopefully that should free up some space that these chonkers currently consume.

The dupont connectors... yup... already using them... you can see the 5-socket ones I made on the joysticks, which I'm rather proud of :). I do like your idea of using them for custom harnesses in conjunction with something like a protoboard. I'm thinking i could have two rows of pins on a Vero Board (I've been googling!), or dollops of solder across a regular protoboard... then plug any 5v/gnd lines into it, like this (though with cheaper pins instead of the pi-pinout set)...
IMG_20221207_183653.jpg
IMG_20221207_183653.jpg (91.86 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Which would make the board re-usable / non-permanent, as I'm making mistakes a-plenty! :)
westfw wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:11 am First: that looks really nice! A real and significant step above the projects one sees built on protoboards.
Cheers dude! Though I suspect you think I built the modules... which I didn't! I just used FreeCAD + 3D Printer to make a shell for the modules :). My query was around the chunky mess of wires and their connector blocks taking up so much space.

Wow, I didn't even know the Wire-Wrap Tool existed! It looks pretty janky though... gives me the impression that the wires could easily un-ravel if moved?

Good shout too on the CAT5 cables. I've a few of those laying around now we've mostly transitioned to WiFi in my home. Think I've even got a 30m one somewhere!

Also wire nuts... not used them before, as like you say, they seem a bit iffy :).

Thanks for the tips! :)

dastels

Post by dastels »

Re: the 2-row headers for power. You can lay a piece of solid 24AWG or so tight along the outside of each row of pins and solder it to each pin. That'll be easier work and provide a more robust electrical connection.Solder it to the two end pins then do the in-between pins. Best to do every 2nd or 3rd so as not to immediately heat next to what's still cooling. Less problematic that way (with joints remelting).

Dave

vodzurk

Post by vodzurk »

dastels wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:16 pm Re: the 2-row headers for power. You can lay a piece of solid 24AWG or so tight along the outside of each row of pins and solder it to each pin. That'll be easier work and provide a more robust electrical connection.Solder it to the two end pins then do the in-between pins. Best to do every 2nd or 3rd so as not to immediately heat next to what's still cooling. Less problematic that way (with joints remelting).

Dave
That's a great idea/tip! It's totally going into my next project!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”