Three out of Five?

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rfancella

Three out of Five?

Post by rfancella »

Hello all!
I just got in my order of 5 Itsy Bitsy ATmega32u4 16Mhz 5v and one PicoW. I have tried three computers (two Linux and one Windows) and there are two Itsy's that do nothing. I cannot even see them as devices. All of the others work just fine. Is it possible I got two bad boards? If so, how do I go about getting them replaced?

Thank you,
Ron Fancella

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Three out of Five?

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Not sure. Let's see if we can get more info using the linux setup.

Try this with both a known working Itsy and one of the problematic ones. Post the resulting output for each case.

First, have the Itsy unplugged from the computer. Then, at a command line, run:

Code: Select all

dmesg -w
Now, plug in the Itsy. Look for any new messages to appear. Copy/paste those new message lines here.

rfancella

Post by rfancella »

Thank you for your prompt reply!

LOL. That is what I mean by "cannot see two of them". I get no output with dmesg when I plug in the non-responsive ones. I do not get any light (on the Itsy) and no sound indicating a new device has been plugged in.

Here is my output on the good ones:

[78049.951133] usb 2-1: new full-speed USB device number 50 using xhci_hcd
[78050.080667] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=239a, idProduct=800e, bcdDevice= 1.00
[78050.080673] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[78050.080675] usb 2-1: Product: ItsyBitsy 32u4 5V 16MHz
[78050.080677] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Adafruit
[78050.080678] usb 2-1: SerialNumber: HIDPC
[78050.083507] cdc_acm 2-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[78050.084765] input: Adafruit ItsyBitsy 32u4 5V 16MHz as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.2/0003:239A:800E.001E/input/input63
[78050.136328] hid-generic 0003:239A:800E.001E: input,hidraw5: USB HID v1.01 Keyboard [Adafruit ItsyBitsy 32u4 5V 16MHz] on usb-0000:00:14.0-1/input2
adafruit_support_carter wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:32 pm Not sure. Let's see if we can get more info using the linux setup.

Try this with both a known working Itsy and one of the problematic ones. Post the resulting output for each case.

First, have the Itsy unplugged from the computer. Then, at a command line, run:

dmesg -w
Now, plug in the Itsy. Look for any new messages to appear. Copy/paste those new message lines here.

adafruit_support_carter

Thanks. Yah, that's the expected output for the good one. And looks like maybe a HID keyboard sketch is running on that one.

One more check. No lights is expected when just plugged in. But try double pressing the reset button. Anything on the little red LED next to the reset button?

rfancella

Post by rfancella »

There are lights if there is nothing running on it. Out of the package new, the light does come on, or at least it did on the good working three.

When I plug in either of the two unresponsive ones, there is no indication of life. If I double tap the reset button, there is no change. No lights. I am suspecting the voltage regulator is no good as there is 0 current draw either.
adafruit_support_carter wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:01 pm Thanks. Yah, that's the expected output for the good one. And looks like maybe a HID keyboard sketch is running on that one.

One more check. No lights is expected when just plugged in. But try double pressing the reset button. Anything on the little red LED next to the reset button?

adafruit_support_carter

The double press is a way to get the bootloader to run and drive the LED.

Just to check - you're using the same cables for the testing between the boards? Only difference is the Itsy itself?

How are you seeing current draw?

It seems like maybe these are bad. But let's make sure it's not something simple that's being overlooked. Getting 2 of 5 with bad voltage regulators is high fail rate.

There's nothing else attached to the Itsy? Just the USB cable?

rfancella

Post by rfancella »

I see. Thank you for the info.
The same exact cable. An 8" USB with data. I used the same cable for all five of them with nothing else connected and the USB cable plugged directly into my laptop (no hub or other device between). Three were perfect and programmed just fine.

After I saw no lights and they did not show up using dmesg, I used this device to check voltage and current draw: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2690.

I understand that 2 out of 5 is high failure rate for sure. I was dumbfounded when I plugged in the second bad one and got no lights. I do all this on an anti-static mat with an ESD wrist strap on my bench, so I know it wasn't static.

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:50 pm The double press is a way to get the bootloader to run and drive the LED.

Just to check - you're using the same cables for the testing between the boards? Only difference is the Itsy itself?

How are you seeing current draw?

It seems like maybe these are bad. But let's make sure it's not something simple that's being overlooked. Getting 2 of 5 with bad voltage regulators is high fail rate.

There's nothing else attached to the Itsy? Just the USB cable?

adafruit_support_carter

OK, let's just replace them. Thanks for all the testing. Really not sure what is wrong with them.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you 2 replacement Itsy 32u4.

rfancella

Post by rfancella »

Thank you for your time and patience!

Will do and have a great week!

Thank you,
Ron Fancella
adafruit_support_carter wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:06 pm OK, let's just replace them. Thanks for all the testing. Really not sure what is wrong with them.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you 2 replacement Itsy 32u4.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”