Feather 32u4 Bluefruit sending garbage data after a while

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jeffcrouse

Feather 32u4 Bluefruit sending garbage data after a while

Post by jeffcrouse »

Product ID: Adafruit Feather 32u4 Bluefruit LE Product ID: 2829
The Bluefruit firmware version you are using: Version 0.8.1
The Operating System your are using: Windows 10
The Arduino IDE version you are using: 2.0.3

I'm coming here from the device recovery page because after a dozen recovery attempts, my Feather is still acting weird. Before this incident, I had it working well. I was able to connect to it and echo characters sent to it, and I implemented a heartbeat signal that was working as expected.

The problem started when I uploaded a sketch in which I was trying to read UART messages that would trigger LEDs patterns using the FastLED library. When I uploaded the sketch, the Feather became non-functional would no longer stay connected to my computer for very long, much less send the heartbeat signal. I could still connect to it from the BluefruitConnect app, but no more heartbeat signal in the UART interface. After going through all of the DFU stuff on the recovery page with no luck, I was able to get the Blink sketch to run by double-clicking the reset button while uploading.

But now I have another problem. I have uploaded the "feathertester" example app, and this is my Serial output:

Code: Select all

17:20:53.562 -> 
17:20:53.562 -> Bluefruit Feather Tester
17:20:53.562 -> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17:20:53.562 -> Select a menu option below:
17:20:53.562 -> [1]  - System Info
17:20:53.562 -> [2]  - AT+HELP
17:20:53.562 -> Enter your selection in the Serial Monitor and press <enter>
17:21:02.074 -> ----------------
17:21:18.123 -> ����������������������������������������������������������������
17:21:34.187 -> ����������������������������������������������������������������
17:21:50.224 -> ����������������������������������������������������������������
17:22:06.267 -> ����������������������������������������������������������������
No matter what I upload, it seems to start out fine, but then start sending some kind of garbage data over Serial, and nothing at all over BLE UART. I have double and triple checked the baud rate, but it is printing serial just fine in the beginning, so I don't think it's a baud rate mismatch.

Have I bricked my Feather? If so, how?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”