Raspbery PI GPS Module - unable to get gpsd working

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Slav84

Raspbery PI GPS Module - unable to get gpsd working

Post by Slav84 »

Hello there.
I am working on a small project with Raspberry PI and Adafruit Ultimate GPS HAT for Raspberry Pi.
I was following your tutorial and I was able to get the fix and get reading from GPS but I don't see the value that starts with $GPRMC. The closest I get is GNRMC which has the same pattern of value as what you suggested in the tutorial. I am attaching the screenshot with what i see:
Screenshot 2022-12-06 185350.png
Screenshot 2022-12-06 185350.png (383.9 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Anyways, I tried to go to the next page and complete the step with gpsd. When do everything I am getting N/As on the screen that pop ups after using "cgps -s"

Any idea what i might be doing wrong or how to fix this?

mikeysklar

Re: Raspbery PI GPS Module - unable to get gpsd working

Post by mikeysklar »

Is the FIX LED blinking?

Have you been putting the module / antenna outside?

It looks like you have not been getting a usable fix.
GPS modules will always send data EVEN IF THEY DO NOT HAVE A FIX! In order to get 'valid' (not-blank) data you must have the GPS module directly outside, with the square ceramic antenna pointing up with a clear sky view. In ideal conditions, the module can get a fix in under 45 seconds. however depending on your location, satellite configuration, solar flares, tall buildings nearby, RF noise, etc it may take up to half an hour (or more) to get a fix! This does not mean your GPS module is broken, the GPS module will always work as fast as it can to get a fix.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”