Most accurate light proof microcontroller

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
TheGodmothersGarden

Most accurate light proof microcontroller

Post by TheGodmothersGarden »

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a microcontroller that works well with wippersnapper(WiFi) and the led light that flashes can be turned off. It will be in an environment where there can be no light.

Planning to use it with the sht40(2 per unit) and print a 3d case.

sj_remington

Re: Most accurate light proof microcontroller

Post by sj_remington »

It is easy to remove LEDs from a circuit board. I just swipe them (or the current limiting resistor) off with the hot tip of a solder pencil.

If you are really serious about achieving a "no light" environment, it is much, much more difficult to eliminate light leaks than most people realize.

TheGodmothersGarden

The environment has no light leaks, I use an Quantum Light Pollution Sensors from Apogee Instruments to make sure. So there is no code that can just turn off the led i would have to "cut" out the circuit? It is good to have the led when programming. I just wanted to confirm that there are no non permeant options?

sj_remington

Post by sj_remington »

Power LEDs are typically not under program control. PCB modifications, like desoldering an LED or resistor, are fully reversible.

If your sensors have no light leaks, why the concern about an LED on external equipment?

TheGodmothersGarden

Im sorry i was not clear. The room that the sensor is going to can have no light sources. It must be pitch black,(green light is the only acceptable light but i dont want to chance it) So i would have to de solder the microcontroller led light and the ones on the sensors? by chance can you point be in the right direction on how to do this. For now i have just been using electrical tape to cove the LED but that is not sustainable.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions.

sj_remington

Post by sj_remington »

Do you have any type of desoldering equipment, like a solder pencil? If so, both Sparkfun and Adafruit have good soldering tutorials that can get you started. But really, all you need to do is use the hot tip to move the part off the solder pads, which takes 2-3 seconds. Practice on a PCB from some discarded electronics, and you will see how easy it is.

If you don't have a solder pencil, you can cut a PCB trace with a r*azor blade. That is easy to repair if you later decide to do so, but again, you need a solder pencil. This one is fine: https://www.adafruit.com/product/180

(*) gets around the forum censor.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You can also make an SMT desoldering tool from a piece of wire. I generally use 24-gauge phone wire:

Start with a piece of wire 2" to 3" long, strip one end and bend the exposed wire into a U that will touch both of the LED's solder joints. Heat the wire with your soldering iron, and the copper will carry heat to both joints at the same time. When both joints have melted, you can use the wire to scoop the LED off the PCB.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”