Push Button (916), Switch Voltage and Relay Activation

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
revive

Push Button (916), Switch Voltage and Relay Activation

Post by revive »

Hello,
We're working on a basic 120v circuit using a latching push button (Product 916) that triggers a 120v SSR to turn on a motor. We'll be using an LED power supply to provide power to the switches built in LED (as well as covering resistor values for different voltages to control LED current), when the button is in the ON position.

Question:

Though the specs for the 916 button switch show it can handle 250V/3A for switching, we want to confirm. Although this will only be activating an SSR (less than 200mA) the pins just don't look like they're capable of handling 120v at any current. IF it cannot safely handle directly switching a 120V SSR we can always power the switch with 24VDC (from the LED power supply) and have it switch a VDC in/VAC out SSR.

Since we already have these switches on hand, we'd like to use them for the example.

Any suggestions or confirmations of the buttons specs are greatly appreciated.

Franklin97355

Re: Push Button (916), Switch Voltage and Relay Activation

Post by Franklin97355 »

Since you are using an SSR for power switching I don't think you will have problems. In motor circuits make sure you have back current protection. Can you post your schematic?

revive

Re: Push Button (916), Switch Voltage and Relay Activation

Post by revive »

The more I think about it, and as I work through the wiring diagram.. along with recognizing I'll already have a 12V supply for the LED of the button.. it makes more sense to be on the safe site and just run 12V to the button to trigger the SSR - well within it's operating range and eliminates most issues I was concerned with.
Thank you for the reply!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”